Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Walmart LiON, V3, so many questions...  (Read 23553 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Walmart LiON, V3, so many questions...
« on: July 19, 2004, 12:33:37 AM »
So I picked up that Walmart LiON battery and it is just awesome.  I've done about 6 shows this week and so far haven't had to recharge the battery yet.

However, I've been thinking of picking up a V3 (I'm turning into a regular gear slut).  Would it be possible to power the V3 with this battery?  I love it because it's so small and seems to pack a ton of power.  However, it's 9.6V and the V3s are either 6v or 12v.  I really don't know much about powering stuff so I have no idea if it's possible or not, but I know there'll be at least 100 people here who do. ;)

So, possible?  No?
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Walmart LiON, V3, so many questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 06:48:38 AM »
i think the v3 is 6 to 12 v isnt it, it will just make the battery indicator light not function correctly, and would ahve to be calibrated to the 9.6v????

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 07:29:24 AM »
i wouldnt trust that, id use a 6v sla and be done w/ it, because youd prolly have to step the voltage down to 6v anyway
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 12:12:43 AM »
My understanding is any V3 will run on 6v-12v, only question is to what voltage the low batt and shut-off are calibrated.  If not calibrated for your particular voltage, the V3's low batt indicator and shut-down won't function correctly.  Only potential problem I can think of is you may discharge your batt too much.  I don't know of any reason you wouldn't be able to calibrate the V3 for a 9.6v power source if that's what you wanted to run.  Graces has the calibration procedure posted on their website in the support area. Wanna make sure and not trust us hacks?  Give Grace a call, quality customer service, IME.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 12:21:02 AM »
My understanding is any V3 will run on 6v-12v, only question is to what voltage the low batt and shut-off are calibrated.  If not calibrated for your particular voltage, the V3's low batt indicator and shut-down won't function correctly.  Only potential problem I can think of is you may discharge your batt too much.  I don't know of any reason you wouldn't be able to calibrate the V3 for a 9.6v power source if that's what you wanted to run.  Graces has the calibration procedure posted on their website in the support area. Wanna make sure and not trust us hacks?  Give Grace a call, quality customer service, IME.

I'll do that after I buy one.  ;)  +t

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 05:34:49 AM »
suite, let us know whats up john :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 11:20:33 AM »
My understanding is any V3 will run on 6v-12v, only question is to what voltage the low batt and shut-off are calibrated.  Wanna make sure and not trust us hacks?  Give Grace a call, quality customer service, IME.

I just traded some emails with Jamie.  There is some question that the adjustment range may not be wide enough to cover the 9.6V point from either above or below.  It needs to be tested. 

Be aware that the discharge curve for NiMH or LiON batteries is different from SLA batteries, so you need to rethink the trigger points for low voltage indication and shutoff.  LiON has a fairly flat discharge curve so it will go from good to gone pretty quickly compared to SLA when it gets close to the end so don't expect 45min runtime between low and shutdown like with an SLA.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 07:54:25 PM »
My understanding is any V3 will run on 6v-12v, only question is to what voltage the low batt and shut-off are calibrated.  Wanna make sure and not trust us hacks?  Give Grace a call, quality customer service, IME.

I just traded some emails with Jamie.  There is some question that the adjustment range may not be wide enough to cover the 9.6V point from either above or below.  It needs to be tested. 

Be aware that the discharge curve for NiMH or LiON batteries is different from SLA batteries, so you need to rethink the trigger points for low voltage indication and shutoff.  LiON has a fairly flat discharge curve so it will go from good to gone pretty quickly compared to SLA when it gets close to the end so don't expect 45min runtime between low and shutdown like with an SLA.

this is really a non issue with the walmart pack for two reasons

LiOn cells are not damaged by deep discharge like lead acid cells so the auto shut off is not needed.

and

The battery meter on the walmart cell is much better than the V3 indicator anyway.

I would get a 6v calibrated unit and run it with the walmart 7.2v cell, it will last about 6 hours.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 07:57:42 PM »

this is really a non issue with the walmart pack for two reasons

LiOn cells are not damaged by deep discharge like lead acid cells so the auto shut off is not needed.

and

The battery meter on the walmart cell is much better than the V3 indicator anyway.

I would get a 6v calibrated unit and run it with the walmart 7.2v cell, it will last about 6 hours.

peace, chris

That's what I was thinking.  I still have to get the v3 first.  Once I do I'll give a call to Grace just to be sure...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 08:10:40 PM »

peace, chris

I didn't know the walmart packs had a level indicator.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 10:10:40 PM »

Yes be aware that the L Ion bat will drop off very suddenly  I had an intersting experience with mine I ran it for 8 shows at all good and at the end of the 8th i turned the rig off and was switching tape and then tried to power up again and the bat had nothing left  I checked the light meter on it and it was flat out dead, no lights at all.  but it ran it's wittle heart out like a champ and got me a ton of music, love this thing!!
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 09:31:33 AM »

peace, chris

Is there a 7.2v Walmart battery? I saw a bunch at my store. Grabbed one and took it home. On the back of the walmart battery box it says 5400mAh, 9v. I didn't see any 7.2v batteries at the store but then again I didn't search through all of them.

Anyone routinely using the walmart 9v battery with a 6v V3 model (not the 12v V3) ? Do I need to step down the voltage or do anything special?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 10:31:59 AM »
Is there a 12V walmart battery? My ULN-2 needs 9-24V, so I'm worried that 9.6 would be too close to the shutoff point to last long.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 11:21:10 AM »
LiOn cells are not damaged by deep discharge

I don't know where you read that, but I have read just the opposite.  Deep discharge kills lithiums, or so it says in the product info in the Li battery i bought.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2004, 12:41:46 PM »
http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/lithium_ion_battery.html

An interesting link -- says another drawback of li-ion batteries is that they lose capacity as they age, but that storing 'em in a cold environment (refrigerator) will slow the aging.

Re Deep discharge -- research also suggests that another key requirement of Li-Ion batteries is to have an electronic regulator running 'em to assure proper charging/discharging.  I strongly suspect that the electronics in the battery will cut it off before it's discharged too deeply.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.198 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com