Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth Taping Cable Static  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Stealth Taping Cable Static
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2023, 04:26:36 PM »
Type of shirt is one of the primary keys to success or failure using your method.  You may need to carefully select a few that you know work well.

Goodcooker's mention of stealthily placing a rig elsewhere than on yourself is a very good one when applicable, especially when there are tables.

When that isn't applicable, a hat like he mentions or a glasses rig like nassau73 mentions are the general go to approaches for most tapers.  Primary benefit of them is it gets the mics up as high as possible, making getting a clear line of sight from PA to mics more likely, which can make it more suitable for tightly packed standing concerts in addition to seated ones where there is more space around you and the mics need not be as high to achieve a good direct line of sight.  Secondarily it allows for the use of a microphone configuration that is closer to standard open microphone configurations: a near-spaced arrangement using directional mics, or HRTF style using the head as a baffle.  Primary drawbacks are not being able to turn your head much, having to wear the hat or glasses, and dealing with some partly exposed wiring unless you sport hair longer than collar length.

Personally, I strongly dislike having to hold my head still and not look all around, tend to record in situations were a hat is not acceptable and don't like wearing a hat indoors anyway, am frequently in situations where I cannot have any exposed wires, and am mostly recording at seated venues where there is more space between audience members even if everyone ends up standing up rather than sitting, so I prefer using alternate methods which work much better for me given all of these constraints.

There are generally common approaches to worn microphone rigs but no single best answer for how to do it that is going to apply to all stealth tapers and situations.  Keep playing around with ideas and you will figure out what works best for you in the situations in which you record, informed by the advice you receive here and your own creative scheming.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 04:29:25 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tobydodds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2023, 05:04:51 PM »
This is a great response, thanks.  I'm really hesitant to make my head a mic stand.  I like to drink beer and move my head around too much...  I got some gaffer tape, maybe I'll try using that to better secure the mic on my shirt at the shoulders.

When I'm not hearing my shirt rub on my mic it sounds pretty solid.  Here's a sample from the encore last night.  Marquee Moon (Television) cover by Luna.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q00ulmb27xowpg9af2507/marquee-moon-by-luna.mp3?rlkey=qwax98nnn570n8oalvvsxzddv&dl=0

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2023, 07:26:37 PM »
I would like to hear the whole recording, hope you share it.  For this one, just make it a mono recording of the good channel, it will probably sound almost as good as the stereo recording would have sounded.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »
This is a great response, thanks.  I'm really hesitant to make my head a mic stand.  I like to drink beer and move my head around too much...  I got some gaffer tape, maybe I'll try using that to better secure the mic on my shirt at the shoulders.

When I'm not hearing my shirt rub on my mic it sounds pretty solid.  Here's a sample from the encore last night.  Marquee Moon (Television) cover by Luna.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q00ulmb27xowpg9af2507/marquee-moon-by-luna.mp3?rlkey=qwax98nnn570n8oalvvsxzddv&dl=0

Sounds like you know what you're doing from the results. Follow the advice given RE: mic rubbing and you will make great tapes.

BTW I PM'd you yesterday with some additional info.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2023, 11:45:19 AM »
also  try cleaning all contacts (at least male ones) w isopropyl Alcohol I keep small alchohol wipes in my bag.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2023, 01:29:05 PM »
I'll try and give a listen this weekend.

Even though its not really click type noise, you might be able to reduce the severity of the problem in your recordings that have already been made with a "de-click" routine or something similar if available in your editing software. Look at whatever is available to reduce noise in LP transfers. I think it works because those type of noise reduction routines tend to target impulsive sounds that are stronger in one channel than the other, and I suspect your cable noise probably fits that description.  I've done this in the past to remove minor fabric rubbing noise that occurred over the course of some very quiet classical recordings, and it worked amazingly well, but cant remember exactly what routine I used.  It was something built into Samplitude, may have been in in Cleaning and Restoration suite, which used to be a separate add on but is now integrated.  The routines in other editors and things like Izotope RX are likely similar.  You do need to set them carefully to just reduce the offending noise without collateral damage.  Takes some trial and error.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 01:31:41 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2023, 07:08:49 PM »
I'm taking these steps.

Gaff tape the mic's in to the Y cable.
Added caps to the mic capsules, they were going commando previously
Am taking extra care with my safety pinning of the mic capsules to my shoulder and shirt, taping the interior.  Capsules just peaking out a hole in the fabric.  Fingers crossed.

Headed out shortly to record Messthetics, Flasher, Gray Matter, and Ex Hex.  Wish me luck!

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2023, 10:33:31 PM »
you dont have to stealth that black cat show. i would just gaff tape the mics to the pole up front near the right speaker.

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2023, 11:42:52 PM »
I would love to hear Ex Hex, and some of the bands from the second might if you go to that.
I used to live around DC and went to lots of TeenBeat shows and lots more at the Black Cat.

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2023, 12:47:43 AM »
Just got back, either the gaff tape on the y cable or the caps did the trick.  No static on the line, phew!  The show was killer and I'm back tomorrow and will share all here.  Messthetics were sublime.

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2023, 08:46:46 AM »
Just messaged all of who helped here with my recordings from the weekend.  Not a drop of static in the bunch and I recorded nine bands in two days!  Great forum right here.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2023, 09:45:18 AM »
Just messaged all of who helped here with my recordings from the weekend.  Not a drop of static in the bunch and I recorded nine bands in two days!  Great forum right here.

Nice work  :clapping:, can't wait to listen even though I've never heard of any of these bands  :)
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2023, 10:30:37 AM »
Judging by your avatar, you should definitely crank up Messthetics.  They are an instrumental jazz/rock trio with Brendan Canty and Joe Lally - the rhythm section of legendary DC band Fugazi - and an absolute monster of a guitar player Anthony Pirog shredding on guitar.  It's actually a bit Phish-like at times, definitely jamming.

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2023, 01:48:44 PM »
Like what the man said. That trio is absolutely astonishing.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2023, 12:33:57 PM »

Sounds good to me.  I think the configuration is working quite well.  Fortunately the only noise I notice is at the end after the music finishes, and yep, familiar with that sound.  Its definitely loud enough there that you'd see it on the recorder's meters if you were looking at them, say if troubleshooting immediately before or between sets without headphones available.

Glad you got it sorted!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com