Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: monitoring option for the MIC2496  (Read 2126 times)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
monitoring option for the MIC2496
« on: November 30, 2007, 11:54:56 PM »
Hey, is anyone out there using isolation transformers?

I used some to create a monitoring setup for MIC2496 (which doesn't have active monitoring off of the preamp).
http://live2496.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=140

The MIC2496 connection is direct and provides powering for the mics.
The isolated connection I used to patch to a mixer.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: monitoring option for the MIC2496
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 12:41:55 AM »
(which doesn't have active monitoring off of the preamp)

That thing has no line out at all" This way your monitoring what is going through the transformer as well as the folio's preamp. Better than nothing but a fair amount of extra gear to add for monitoring.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:22:21 AM »
(which doesn't have active monitoring off of the preamp)

That thing has no line out at all" This way your monitoring what is going through the transformer as well as the folio's preamp. Better than nothing but a fair amount of extra gear to add for monitoring.

A Mic2496 user asked me what he could do to provide monitoring for a folk singer that he records routinely. Apparently they are friends and he goes over to the folk singer's residence to record.

I had this mixer at home not being used and so all I needed to do was to get two isolation transformer boxes and make up two short XLR cables. So it was a relatively cheap setup to put together.

I agree that it's more items, but it's still small enough to carry around in a briefcase, quite easy to setup, and the user has access to AC power. So it works in this situation.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »
So the Mic2496 is just a preamp and ad. Does the recording device not have any monitoring abilities? I was only pointing out that with this setup your not monitoring what it "going to tape".
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »
So the Mic2496 is just a preamp and ad. Does the recording device not have any monitoring abilities? I was only pointing out that with this setup your not monitoring what it "going to tape".

Yes, that's very true. The software can do monitoring, but it is delayed due to buffering inside. Hardware monitoring is just a better way IMO.

Also many pda's have their jack on the top left and this interferes with the PDAudio's jack. Back when PDAudio was first introduced, it was prior to the H2200 which was the first one I recollect that had the headphone jack at the top.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com