Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Updating 722 firmware  (Read 2467 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Updating 722 firmware
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:37:56 AM »
Finally getting around to updating. I'm still on 1.46 :P. Really never had a desire to update. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D.

So anyway, I unzip the folder and all thats there is this "722_2.40.prg" thing, PRG File 880 kbs. Is that it?

And since I'm going from 1.46 to 2.40 I need to do it twice?

Help, I'm a software idiot ;D

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Updating 722 firmware
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
Just do the firmware update once.  It will overlay what is already on the 722 and you will be good to go.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »
You should transfer the prg file to the harddisc on the 722. Easiest by simply copying it while the 722 is connected on firewire (after copying, remove the cable). Then run the menu command on the 722 to update, it will prompt you for whatever it needs.

After having updated I strongly recommend formatting the disc of the 722 (using the 722 menu). So before anything else, start by copying any files on the 722 you wish to keep.

Gunnar

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:11:17 AM »
Just do the firmware update once.  It will overlay what is already on the 722 and you will be good to go.

You will have to do the update twice coming from such an older firmware version. Been there, done that.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline boojum

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 02:26:04 PM »
mmedley - thanks.  I did not know that.  i just u/d with the overlay of the release of new firmware.  i am curious, why must it be overlaid twice??

I did find this at SD:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/firmware/v2-firmware/

Firmware Updates for Pre-2.0 Hardware

Q: I have an early 744T recorder which has not yet been factory-updated with “2.0-ready” updates. Can I run firmware revisions later than 1.74 on it?

A: All 7-Series recorders, whether they have been updated to be “2.0-ready” or not can run 2.0 firmware update. The only feature that requires 2.0-ready hardware is external FireWire drive support. If the unit has not been updated, there is no option to record or transfer files to attached, external FireWire drives.

All other features will operate as documented.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 02:29:54 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline boojum

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:11:30 PM »
7xx updates, 1.74 and earlier from the SD site:

Update Firmware

* Insert the Compact Flash card into the 722 (if using CF upgrade method).
    * Disconnect all audio and data connections, including FireWire.
    * With the unit powered up, navigate to Update Software in the setup menu. It is the last menu selection.
    * Following the on-screen instructions, the unit will locate the firmware file. Select update.
    * Read the on-screen instructions for updating firmware.
    * The upgrade process may take up to five minutes.
    * If the firmware is being updated from revision 1.74 or earlier, the update process must be completed twice. The first time through   updates the "boot block" to a later version. The second time applies the firmware. For updates from versions later than 2.00, this two-step process is not necessary.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »
http://www.sounddevices.com/download/722-firmware.htm   ;)

Yep, just about to post the same thing.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline boojum

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:56:43 PM »
mmedley et al, I just updated my new 722 from 1.74 to 2.40.  The screens walk you through the process.  The screen tells you to reboot and run the update program again.  It is foolproof, but not idiot proof.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:27:38 AM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 10:20:42 PM »
mmedley et al, I just updated my new 722 from 1.74 to 2.40.  The screens walk you through the process.  They screen tell you to reboot and run the update program again.  It is foolproof, but not idiot proof.

yeah, I still have all of my firmware updates from 1.79>2.40(including badger). 9 or 10 of them. But 2.40 must be one of the most stable releases, because they havent had a firmware update from early december, 2007. 5 months :) I have had nothing but good thinsg to say about 2.40, but I wont mention them because I dont want to jinx myself :)

I ndo need to get off my ass and send it in for the 2.0 hardware upgrade, but I dont see it happening til next winter because I missed my chance when I didnt record one damn single show from NYE 2007 w/ RAQ in Knoxville, to recording the Doodis 2 year Reunion show on 3/28/2008. thats a long break for me :) But yep, missed my chance right there. how long would that be covered under warranty? would i need to be under warranty still or would they do the 2.0 hardware upgrade free for ANY 7xx customers that need it done, regardless if its covered under warranty still or not?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:57:21 AM »
Do check with the SD people. Mine was out of warranty but was upgraded (including transfer from Stockholm Sweden to and back factory).

G.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »
mmedley et al, I just updated my new 722 from 1.74 to 2.40.  The screens walk you through the process.  They screen tell you to reboot and run the update program again.  It is foolproof, but not idiot proof.

yeah, I still have all of my firmware updates from 1.79>2.40(including badger). 9 or 10 of them. But 2.40 must be one of the most stable releases, because they havent had a firmware update from early december, 2007. 5 months :) I have had nothing but good thinsg to say about 2.40, but I wont mention them because I dont want to jinx myself :)

I ndo need to get off my ass and send it in for the 2.0 hardware upgrade, but I dont see it happening til next winter because I missed my chance when I didnt record one damn single show from NYE 2007 w/ RAQ in Knoxville, to recording the Doodis 2 year Reunion show on 3/28/2008. thats a long break for me :) But yep, missed my chance right there. how long would that be covered under warranty? would i need to be under warranty still or would they do the 2.0 hardware upgrade free for ANY 7xx customers that need it done, regardless if its covered under warranty still or not?

Whats this hardware upgrade?

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 06:40:14 AM »
If you have a sticker on the 722, behind the battery, saying "2.0 ready" it is already fixed. What it does is allowing your 722 to be master to an external firewire disc (harddisc or DVD-writer). Some hardware thing inside the box had to be changed to allow this to work. 

Gunnar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com