Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Normalize / bass rolloff - which comes first?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Normalize / bass rolloff - which comes first?
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
I'm trying to edit some audio files and the bass in them is pretty intense.  Should I normalize them and then do a bass rolloff, or should I take out some of the bass and then normalize?  Is there a proper way to handle this?

Also, how should I curve the bass rolloff in Sony Sound Forge 9.0.  I was playing around with it last night and think that I found out how to manipulate the file, but I was wondering if any of you have any favorite curves or protocols to use for this.

I recorded everything, btw, with Sonic Studios DSM-6/L > Sony PCM-D50, about 40 feet from the stage in a covered large tent outdoors.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Normalize / bass rolloff - which comes first?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »
Reducing the bass may reduce peaks and/or overall volume, so roll off (apply a high pass filter, or HPF) first, then normalize.

The ReadMe 1st thread stickied at the top of the forum has two links to short discussions on rolloff / HPF.  You could apply a simple HPF, applying a specific starting frequency and slope, or you could use a parametric EQ to create a more complex HPF of sorts.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:31:05 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com