Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help Needed on mixing  (Read 1512 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Help Needed on mixing
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:32 PM »
I have started recording, and intend to record some more, in four track, a pair of cardioids and omnis baffled.  The idea is to bring up front voices with the cardioids and fill out the bass with the omnis, both rather small, without going to higher profile mics.  I have tested it and it works in principle, but I need help in the following areas:

1) What is a good program to split the 4GB files my Sonosax MiniR82 creates, while not destroying the sync between the sets of stereo files?  Wavelab 5.0, which I have been using, will not take large files, and CD Wave Editor, which works fine for manual split points, goes nuts when I try to use its "split at a given time interval" function on the big file (splits it every 1 second, no matter what time is input!)

2) Assuming I want the files from the omnis low-passed to boost bass, but also to bring in if possible some side orchestra that the cardioids (really more hypercardioids) miss, what is a good EQ curve to use (if this is the best way to go).  What should be the relative loudness of the two inputs to the mix?  If I use something like the Wavelab "Paste Special/Mix" function, what parameters work?

These seem to me to be rather basic questions, but I'm a two track guy who hangs out with other two track guys, and I need some advice.  Any reference to good books on mixing classical music (technical, not theoretical, and not way more than I want to know) would help.

Jeff

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help Needed on mixing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:45:35 PM »
1)  Use CD-Wave to manually set markers on the cardioid stereo WAV.  Save the cue sheet.  Split.  Open the omni stereo WAV.  Load the cue sheet.  Split.

2)  Use an EQ curve that sounds good to your ears.  Mix relative loudness so it sounds good to your ears.  No idea about WL's Paste Special/Mix function.

(I know, not much of an answer for #2.)

Alternatively, if the MiniR82 supports it, you could configure it to split at or under 2GB and continue to use WL (or better yet, switch to Samplitude SE :P)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »
1) works like a charm, a thousand thanks on this.  In about ten minutes it became so obvious I don't know how I missed it in years of using CD Wave. 

2) I fully intend to use my ears.  However, it helps to have a place to begin before you start trying to tweak things.  Luckily, my two stereo recordings came in at about the right levels so that I got a meaningful product with a naked mix, with the omni low-passed around 200 Hz.  But any wisdom on what you change to get a given change in sound would be welcome.

Jeff

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
Hi Jeff,

One tip is that when making decisions regarding mixes work with your loudspeakers at a calibrated level. (About 83 decibels). Bass is the hardest part to get right. You should listen at this level when making the final decision regarding eq.

I use a $50 Radio Shack SPL meter to set my levels when working on music. I listen at a much lower level most of the time, but at a calibrated level when eq'ing.

A general rule of thumb would be to make the mix as realistic sounding as the original as you can. Tune the low end so that it sounds like the "real deal".

Gordon

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com