Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Editing (cutting pasting) using sound forge 8.0  (Read 3202 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Editing (cutting pasting) using sound forge 8.0
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
I am having difficulties getting a good edit when cutting and pasting different takes of the same piece together. When I cut and paste and join the 2 together I am getting a click sound where the joining is. Can someone tell me how to do it correctly in sound forge 8? I understand that there is something called crossfade or budhead (spelling?) to remove the click sound where I did the cut and paste?
Thanks a lot!
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Editing (cutting pasting) using sound forge 8.0
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »
I am having difficulties getting a good edit when cutting and pasting different takes of the same piece together. When I cut and paste and join the 2 together I am getting a click sound where the joining is. Can someone tell me how to do it correctly in sound forge 8? I understand that there is something called crossfade or budhead (spelling?) to remove the click sound where I did the cut and paste?
Thanks a lot!

You shouldn't get any clicking sound when just cutting and pasting a seamlessly split file.  I would just double-click the second half of the show to select it all, then control x to cut it, then close that file and click at the very end of the first half file (click on the part that is past the end of the audio file to make sure you're selecting the very end), and then control v to paste it on.  Confirm with a listen and it should be seamless if the original files were seamlessly split.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »
Actually it's not a split track. I recorded the same piece played 2 X and I manually cut the piece at the same point on the music. So hoping to join the 2 together so that i get the 1st half of the music played by the 1st take and the 2nd half of the music played by the 2nd take. It's just simple music editing but I get a click...So now wondering if anyone used an option called "crossfade" in Sound forge.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »
zoom in on the wav file as close as you can and see if the 2 separate wav files meet up properly.  you might have to cut a split-second from one or the other or both files to get them to match up right.  the click is probably cause don't match up right.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:29:42 AM »
Yes I think there is a way to make them match even if they are not...it's called "crossfading"

http://www.musiciantutorials.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.26

Don't know if anyone here are experience in editing ... especially soft music you can hear the click if it is not done right. So just wondering if anyone know or done anything called "crossfading" when editing.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:43:05 AM »
Yes I think there is a way to make them match even if they are not...it's called "crossfading"

http://www.musiciantutorials.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.26

Don't know if anyone here are experience in editing ... especially soft music you can hear the click if it is not done right. So just wondering if anyone know or done anything called "crossfading" when editing.

This is one of those things about digital audio that just sucks ;)

Cross fading is how you cover up edits.  They just fade one file out as it fades the other in, but does this process over the period of 10 samples.  Making the "click" (and the fade) inaudible.  It's a very important part of multitrack editing, so it's a required tool on DAW's like pro tools, logic, etc.  I'm not sure if too many freeware DAW's have this option, but it's not hard to make a manual crossfade.  Doesn't have to be fancy.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com