Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ubuntu monitor issues  (Read 1816 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
ubuntu monitor issues
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:49:26 PM »
So I know a very small percentage of people here use any form of Linux but for those who do, could you help me?  ::)

the other night I had some issues with ubuntu which caused me to re-image the system which really should be that hard to do. I had some torrents I downloaded that I was seeding so I lost of of those but nothing too important.
the install completed without any issue just like it should but the issue is with my 23" lcd monitor and the video drivers. I'm using the ATI radeon HD 4350 video card with my system and ubuntu does find hardware drivers for it and it has been installed. the only issue is...the display does not take up the entire 23"...more like 20" even though i have it set to 1920 x 1080 in the display properties. I have even used the Catalyst control center to attempt to adjust the monitor to the correct resolution but it is also at 1920 x 1080.

When I first got the monitor there were issues setting it up and adjusting it correct but ever since then, it was working without fail and without issue.

I have re-imaged, rebooted, logged out/in multiple times without any resolution change.

The monitor is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254045&cm_re=hanns_g_23-_-24-254-045-_-Product

I'm using HDMI to DVI

The video ports on the asus motherboard do not work with ubuntu so that is not an option for me.

I will see about cross posing on ubuntu forums but I thought someone here may have an idea as well.

Thanks for any help,
sean

I forgot to mention I have a second monitor, 18" compaq CRT with it at the max resolution, 1600 x 1200 and adjusting its resolution does not change anything on the main lcd monitor.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:55:45 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: ubuntu monitor issues
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
It looks like you monitors native resolution is 1920 X 1200 (looking at the Catalyst panel)

Could that account for the extra space when running 1920 X 1080? What happens if you try to run at 1920 x 1200

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
It looks like you monitors native resolution is 1920 X 1200 (looking at the Catalyst panel)

Could that account for the extra space when running 1920 X 1080? What happens if you try to run at 1920 x 1200

Yeah, i saw that too. pretty odd....because 1920*1200 is not even a selection in the Catayst or in the display prefs for ubuntu.

I should say when I remove the found drivers by ubuntu, the entire screen is occupied but its a little mushed together and the menu bar goes to the CRT monitor.

I'll be working on a post to ubuntu forums because the irc channel hasn't helped too much. 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
Is there a Ubuntu/Linux users group here?
I just installed Ubuntu on an old Gateway Solo 2150... mostly for web surfing. The install went pretty good. It didn't recognize my DWL-650+ wireless PCMCIA card but it did recognize my older DWL-630.

I'm sure I'll have questions...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »
About as close as I've seen here on TS to a team Linux/Ubuntu is the Team *nix over in the team forum. Hasn't had much activity lately but it's probably as good as any a place to post any questions you or anyone else has.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=85733.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com