Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My matrix is wavering (sample inside)  (Read 2086 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
My matrix is wavering (sample inside)
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
I have a SBD and AUD source taken on two seperate devices and I'm attempting a mix down in post. I've stretched the file(s) to match exactly using my eyes and Vegas pro, but now the file that I am rendering has a strange phasing kind of quality.  It sounds like the sound is waving.  It is best noticed wit headphones.  Please check it out and let me know what I can do to save it!
-Brian

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M7M0S790
http://www.youshare.com/Guest/a86877/DisplaySimple
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:20:35 PM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: My matrix is wavering (sample inside)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
I've stretched the file(s) to match exactly using my eyes and Vegas pro

I've always used discrete sounds (cymbals, percussion, single notes, etc) to line up and stretch/match sources for matrixing.  I'll check it out later when I get home later but are you sure they're lined up properly? 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:17:17 PM »
Its nice if you can use sounds in the same frequency range at both ends. A cymbol hit for example. The worst problem I have had was shift in balance from one side to the other over the course of 2 hrs (so if I balance stuff in the middle between left/right, at the end its a bit right heavy at a bit lefty at the beginning...) only affects certain instruments so im almost positive its phase related.

Have you tried doing the clock adjustment via math instead of visually?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:30:44 PM »
Its nice if you can use sounds in the same frequency range at both ends. A cymbol hit for example. The worst problem I have had was shift in balance from one side to the other over the course of 2 hrs (so if I balance stuff in the middle between left/right, at the end its a bit right heavy at a bit lefty at the beginning...) only affects certain instruments so im almost positive its phase related.

Have you tried doing the clock adjustment via math instead of visually?

no idea how.  I was located about 5' LOC inside the soundbooth at 930...  From what I understand, the largest factor accounting for being out-of-sync will be that I was using two separate devices (r09HR for mics, iriver h120 for SBD)
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »
funny that you post this, as i was considering starting a thread about the exact same thing. i do a lot of SBD/AUD matrixes using stretch in Vegas and on a few i've begun noticing the same thing, i was going to describe exactly as you did -- phasing. sort of like the sound is blowing from one channel across to the other at times. i thought maybe my ears were just playing tricks on me, good to know it's not just me. the problem is not that they aren't fully in sync -- they are definitely synced as well as they can be. i'm no audio expert but i was wondering if it maybe has to do with how the resampling of the 'stretch' function is working. i can provide samples also if it would help. funny thing about it is i don't notice it in every matrix, only here and there. and it doesn't affect an entire show, just pops in for a few seconds then goes away. very puzzling. and it is noticed better on headphones than speakers, as you said.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:57:27 PM by junkyardt »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »
Maybe it's the mix-match between the SBD signal panning and the actual stage layout?
For example, the hi-hat is stage left, but the soundman has it panned stage right?
I notice this type of thing at my local venue.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com