Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flac 1.3.0 Released  (Read 9138 times)

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
Flac 1.3.0 Released
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:22:44 PM »
Didn't see a(n obvious) thread anywhere for this, so here it is.  Flac 1.3.0 was released today.

http://www.kabatology.com/06/10/flac-audio-format-gets-first-update-in-6-years/
https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html

FLAC 1.3.0 (26-May-2013)

General:
        Move development to Xiph.org git repository.
        The --sector-align option of flac has been deprecated and may not exist in future versions. shntool provides similar functionality.
        Support for the RF64 and Wave64 formats in flac (see below).
        Better handling of cuesheets with non-CD-DA sample rates.
        The --ignore-chunk-sizes option has been added to the flac command line tool.
    FLAC format:
        (none)
    Ogg FLAC format:
        (none)
    flac:
        Added support for encoding from and decoding to the RF64 format, and a new corresponding option --force-rf64-format. (SF #1762502). --keep-foreign-metadata is also supported.
        Added support for encoding from and decoding to the Sony Wave64 format, and a new corresponding option --force-wave64-format. (SF #1769582). --keep-foreign-metadata is also supported.
        Added new options --preserve-modtime and --no-preserve-modtime to specify whether or not output files should copy the timestamp and permissions from their input files. The default is --preserve-modtime as in previous versions. (SF #1805428).
        Allow MM:SS:FF and MM:SS.SS time formats in non-CD-DA cuesheets. (SF #1947353, SF #2182432)
        The --sector-align option of flac has been deprecated and may not exist in future versions. shntool provides similar functionality. (SF #1805946)
        Improved error message when user attempts to decode a non-FLAC file (SF #2222789).
        Fix bug where flac was disallowing use of --replay-gain when encoding from stdin (SF #1840124).
        Fix bug with fractional seconds on some locales (SF #1815517, SF #1858012).
        Read and write appropriate channel masks for 6.1 and 7.1 surround input WAV files. Documentation was also updated.
        Correct Wave64 GUIDs.
        Support 56kHz to 192kHz gain analysis (patch from Earl Chew)
        Add ability to handle utf8 filenames on Windows (large set of patches from Janne Hyvärinen)
    metaflac:
        Allow MM:SS:FF and MM:SS.SS time formats in non-CD-DA cuesheets. (SF #1947353, SF #2182432)
    plugins:
        Minor updates for XMMS plugin.
        Winamp2 plugin was dropped because Nullsoft has provided native FLAC support since 2006.
    build system:
        Fixes for autotools (including SF #1859664).
        Fixes for MinGW (including SF #2000973, SF #2209829).
        Fixes for gcc (including SF #1834168, SF #2002481).
        Fixes for Sun Studio/Forte (SF #1701960).
        Fixes for windows builds (including SF #1676822, SF #1756624, SF #1809863, SF #1911149).
        Fixes for FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
        Compile with GNU gcc _FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 and stack protection where those features are detected.
        Enable a bunch of GCC compiler warnings and fix code that generates warnings.
    documentation:
        Document --ignore-chunk-sizes and --apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless option for flac.
    libraries:
        libFLAC encoder was defaulting to level 0 compression instead of 5 (SF #1816825).
        Fix bug in bitreader handling of read callback returning a short count (SF #2490454).
        Improve decoder's ability to distinguish between a FLAC sync code and an MPEG one (SF #2491433).
    Interface changes:
        libFLAC:
            Added FLAC__format_blocksize_is_subset()
        libFLAC++:
            Add a number of convienience methods.
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Flac 1.3.0 Released
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »
wow.  awesome.  FLAC v1.2.1 was released back in 2007.  It's nice to see development continue :)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:08:28 PM »
The --sector-align option of flac has been deprecated and may not exist in future versions. shntool provides similar functionality.

There better be a seriously awesome reason for this, otherwise that was mega-dumb.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »
I agree. Why not always sector align 16/44.1 regardless of CD? What's the drawback?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline trustthex

• Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »

There better be a seriously awesome reason for this, otherwise that was mega-dumb.

I saw that and thought about bolding it.  Not cool, especially for those updating old filesets.
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
I wonder how long before Trader's Little Helper gets updated and if it will keep shntool in the setup file? If it keeps it there should be no worries because flac1.3 drops the sector-align option.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 05:09:24 AM »
yeah, what's the big deal about possibly dropping the sector boundary alignment option?  I've never used it (my tracks are always cut on sector boundaries, and for fixing old stuff, I've always used shntool). 

isn't the fact that shntool provides the same functionality reason enough not to duplicate the function in the FLAC code?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
yeah, what's the big deal about possibly dropping the sector boundary alignment option?  I've never used it (my tracks are always cut on sector boundaries, and for fixing old stuff, I've always used shntool). 

isn't the fact that shntool provides the same functionality reason enough not to duplicate the function in the FLAC code?

No, because not everyone uses shntool or TLH. If you use TLH then the sector-align option in flac is redundant but if you use something like flac frontend then dropping the sector-align option may leave one up the creek without a paddle.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »
Is anyone really still relying on a track cutting tool that doesn't cut on sector?

Seems double redundant...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
Is anyone really still relying on a track cutting tool that doesn't cut on sector?

I've never used an editor that cuts on sector boundaries.

"Sectors" don't really apply to audio that's not 16/44.1.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »

I've never used an editor that cuts on sector boundaries.

+1

I can get it to, but there is an element of human error in that. This has been a safety net.

Why depreciate a feature that was already implemented and worked? I could understand if they had a better solution, but no, they said "go get someone else's program for that." That's weak sauce and short sighted to rely on someone else's code when yours was already sufficient and done>:(
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 09:20:55 AM »
Maybe they're just acknowledging that at some point in the future, hacks specific to 16/44.1 may go away

runonce

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »
Maybe they're just acknowledging that at some point in the future, hacks specific to 16/44.1 may go away

Or the Audio CD format in general...

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »
FLAC is just an audio codec and as such, I don't think it's FLAC's responsibility to make sure your audio files are aligned to any other format's sectors.

adrianf74

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
FLAC is just an audio codec and as such, I don't think it's FLAC's responsibility to make sure your audio files are aligned to any other format's sectors.

^^ THIS.

I know FLAC has supported it but it's not truly a responsibility of FLAC but rather the front-end that you're using.  I'm sure TLH will add this feature for those who need it.

Offline kcmule

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »

^^ THIS.

I know FLAC has supported it but it's not truly a responsibility of FLAC but rather the front-end that you're using.  I'm sure TLH will add this feature for those who need it.

How do you propose any front-end mechanism provides a feature that is removed from the back-end?

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »

No, but even when using CD Wave, the last track of a set usually ends with a SBE as it's not my deck's responsibility to end on a sector.

And I'd rather check the fix SBE box on the encode than make an extremely short track in CD Wave only to toss it.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline scb

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
How do you propose any front-end mechanism provides a feature that is removed from the back-end?

huh?

Offline kcmule

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »

huh?

Considering the front end is simply an interface to what is defined in by the back end, if a feature
of the back end is removed how is the front end going to enable it?  It's not.

So how it TLH going to add something that isn't there to begin with?  It's not.

Offline scb

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »

huh?

Considering the front end is simply an interface to what is defined in by the back end, if a feature
of the back end is removed how is the front end going to enable it?  It's not.

So how it TLH going to add something that isn't there to begin with?  It's not.

In the specific case of TLH, it can use shntool. Problem solved.

In the case of other apps that actually use the flac libraries and don't just call the command-line flac executable, they can manipulate the audio data themselves when encoding, just like shntool does.

Offline kcmule

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »
In the case of other apps that actually use the flac libraries and don't just call the command-line flac executable,

I was under the impression that is what happens, simply called the command line exe.  Guess not.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »

Yes.  Me.  I use Totalrecorder as my cutter for speed purposes. 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »
You're correct.  FLAC is just a codec, not a tool.  That's why I use TLH for sector alignment. 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »

http://flacfrontend.sourceforge.net/

Flac Frontend no longer has sector alignment.  Check out the pictures.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »

No, but even when using CD Wave, the last track of a set usually ends with a SBE as it's not my deck's responsibility to end on a sector.

And I'd rather check the fix SBE box on the encode than make an extremely short track in CD Wave only to toss it.

I've always cut off the first x:xx.xx and last x:xx.xx with CDWave (so a 10 track set has 12 tracks after done with CDWave - delete Track 1 and Track 12).  That will take care of the SBE at the very end (nice clean edges).

I'm not really a fan of the SBE fix in TLH.  The main (and probably only) reason being that it made it too easy for people to "fix" their SBEs incorrectly, ie people would fix the last SBE on the last track of first set by padding with the first track of second set rather than doing so with silence... 

I've always used SHNTOOLs for SBEs...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »

I've always cut off the first x:xx.xx and last x:xx.xx with CDWave (so a 10 track set has 12 tracks after done with CDWave - delete Track 1 and Track 12).  That will take care of the SBE at the very end (nice clean edges).

I'm not really a fan of the SBE fix in TLH.  The main (and probably only) reason being that it made it too easy for people to "fix" their SBEs incorrectly, ie people would fix the last SBE on the last track of first set by padding with the first track of second set rather than doing so with silence... 

I've always used SHNTOOLs for SBEs...

Terry

Good point. I do it set by set to avoid any issues.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

stevetoney

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:22 AM »
This is the nerd-iest thread I've read in awhile on TS.com.   ;D

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »
This is the nerd-iest thread I've read in awhile on TS.com.   ;D

yeah, I pretty much understood about 25% of what was going on. hahaha  ;D
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »

Or the Audio CD format in general...
I certainly hope so! 16/441 should go jump in a lake ASAP!!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:11:08 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 53 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com