Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hooray! TDK DVD+R Media doesn't work in my Lite-On 1673S Burner  (Read 4566 times)

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
I'm green as hell with burning dvd-a/a-dvd discs, so I'm fumbling my way through the authoring process.  I thought I had it down until I got back from the Fox.  I started authoring the 24bit dvds and coastered 20 and thought it was a software problem...  at my wits end, I started investigating and found out that the damn TDK dvd+r media I was using didn't jive with my writer.  Just picked up a spindle of verbatim dvd-r discs and I'm back in business!

The TDK's would successfully burn in Nero, then play fine until mid-way through the disc, then it would start screwing up and my player would end up giving up.

Anyway, I'm a much happier person tonight. 

If anyone uses TDK discs successfully, let me know.  I'll send you 30 for the cost of shipping. 

PM me

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Hooray! TDK DVD+R Media doesn't work in my Lite-On 1673S Burner
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 06:43:06 PM »
it took you 20 coasters to determine it was the media?

<says the guy who it took 25 coasters to dermine the discs were fine and my player was inserting gaps into wavelab authored discs  :P >

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 06:57:02 PM »
my lite-on sucks.

go on over to club.cdfreaks.com or forum.cdfreaks.com and get a fimware update.  I have found the Office Depot (Ritek02) +r work decently.

also i bet there is a huge PIF spike about 60% percent of the way through if you run Kprobe against the disks.

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline wboswell

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 07:47:41 PM »
it took you 20 coasters to determine it was the media?

<says the guy who it took 25 coasters to dermine the discs were fine and my player was inserting gaps into wavelab authored discs  :P >

I burned 3 copies of night 1 before I realized something was up.  Then I thought the problem was solved and I burned several more.  Then I figured I'd just go back to dvd-a in Wavelab and burned a couple more.  I guess the rest were mailed as data discs, which I'm guessing are coasters as well...  but that's yet to be determined.

also i bet there is a huge PIF spike about 60% percent of the way through if you run Kprobe against the disks.

whatever the hell that means...  I'm sure it sucks, but you're over my head. 

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 09:50:44 PM »
my nec 3250 with  bit rate set to dvd-rom will burn anything you throw at it.  and it was only $60 shipped.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 10:31:31 PM »
I have had zero problems with my lite on dual layer...once I realized my player was putting gaps in and I moved to the DVD Audio Creator program

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 11:27:57 PM »
TDK's won't play in my Xbox either. I tend to stick w/ Verbatim too.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 01:12:37 AM »
you guys should try using -r media if you can.  i find it works with a lot more players.

i have tdk -r's and they work fine in my xbox.  however, theres 4 different dvd drives in the different versions of the xbox, so that could also be the reason.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline wboswell

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 08:54:42 AM »
I found this site through a little research.  You punch in your player and it tells you which media has been tested and what its reliability is.  This is what led me to try out the verbatim discs

DVD Media List

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 09:01:12 AM »
theres 4 different dvd drives in the different versions of the xbox, so that could also be the reason.

FWIW, I've only seen evidence of 3 different drives in the Xbox. Thomson (least compatible), Philips (the one I have), and Samsung (most compatible)

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »
theres 4 different dvd drives in the different versions of the xbox, so that could also be the reason.

FWIW, I've only seen evidence of 3 different drives in the Xbox. Thomson (least compatible), Philips (the one I have), and Samsung (most compatible)

there was another version of the samsung drive released with the v1.6 xbox's which is just as sucky as the thomson drives.  there's actually a Hitachi-LG computer dvd drive that can be modded a bit that'll work in the xbox's too.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 11:13:48 AM »
if your burner supports bit setting you should set it to dvd-rom.  it is more compatible than anything else.  doesn't matter if you burn it on + or - it will be set to dvd-rom and that is the most compatible mode for most dvd players.  my player didn't always like the + stuff.  changed the setting and have had no issues.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 05:05:07 PM »
if your burner supports bit setting you should set it to dvd-rom. it is more compatible than anything else. doesn't matter if you burn it on + or - it will be set to dvd-rom and that is the most compatible mode for most dvd players. my player didn't always like the + stuff. changed the setting and have had no issues.

how do you set it to dvd-rom, i've never heard of that, but it sonds interesting. i haven't had much problems, but it might be useful in the future.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 03:57:54 AM »
if you use nero to burn  (stolen from another board)  this is what I did

Open NERO Burning ROM. From the main screen, there should be a drop down menu that shows your DVD Drive. Mine says E:_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A. I can click the dropdown and also select my CD Burner. To the right of that dropdown menu, there should be an icon that looks like a tiny computer with a cd drive sticking out. Click on that icon.

It should take you to a menu called "Choose Recorder". It should list your burners. Mine says

Image Recorder
TDK CDRW4800B
NEC DVD RW ND-3520A

It will list the status of all of them, et et. Make sure your dvd drive is highlighted. In the bottom left, click the options button. Once you click that, it will have a box for buffer underrun with a check mark, and then another dropdown menu that says

Book Type Settings.

Mine is selected to DVD ROM, but there are settings for Automatic, Physical Disc Type, or Current Recorder setting. Theoretically, if you flashed your drive with firmware to enable bittsetting, you should be able to leave it as current burner setting, but select DVD-ROM.

After youve selected the Book Type Setting to DVD-ROM, burn a disc. After it is done, leave it in the drive, then go to the "recorder" menu heading at the top of the tool bar, select disc info, and click on it. It should tell you what book type the disc is. If you set it up properly, it will either just say DVD-ROM, or it will say R+ (Booktype set to DVD-ROM)

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 01:36:54 PM »
nice +t

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 04:56:18 PM »
ive onlybeen burning verbatim dvd-r dvd's and ive had MAYBE one coaster out of hundreds of blanks already

i also have a lite-on burner, they must be a good combo :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 05:35:22 PM »
just upgrade your firmware.
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com