Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage  (Read 2085 times)

Offline tscales

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
Maiden Voyage
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:47:16 PM »
Okay _i'm gonna give the laptop taping a go tonight - I need to install the UA-5 software and fireup cubase and make sure it sees it as one of the devices, but my buddy ethan is also taping and he should have it covered so I'm just goin to play and learn.

AKG 393s > UA-5 > USB > Fujitsu > Cubase.

It prolly won't work, but eh, at least I'll be enjoyin Sharon Jones and Dap Kings while I'm screwin up - rather than pullin my hair out in my living room.

Any last tid bits of advice?
Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Maiden Voyage
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:08:57 PM »
yeah, IMHO you should bring the d8 and leave the laptop at home until you've been able to set it up to reliably record off of the ua5 in your living room.  Getting this setup to work will almost definitely take a bit of tweaking, rebooting, downloading updated drivers, etc. last thing I'd want to do at a show is to start trying to get a totally untested computer-based recording setup to actually work.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:12:03 PM »
yeah, IMHO you should bring the d8 and leave the laptop at home until you've been able to set it up to reliably record off of the ua5 in your living room.  Getting this setup to work will almost definitely take a bit of tweaking, rebooting, downloading updated drivers, etc. last thing I'd want to do at a show is to start trying to get a totally untested computer-based recording setup to actually work.

quoted for truth

however, if you do decide to fly tonigh, just make sure you get the updated driver. install those, and only those, and you should be fine...

and if you have transferred a dat to laptop, you are doing the same kind of thing...

good luck.

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:56 PM »

Well - i have alot goin for me - I bought it off TNTJAZZ and its been recording show for years - so it IS tested.  I have my updated drivers installed and backed up on my ipod if I need them on the fly while at the show.  Truthfully - this particualar show isn't a bad place to test, but I completely agree (if people would stop inviting me out and to weddings I might have some free time to do it at home, but this is the closest I have to free time to play and my buddy ethan has the show well covered)

I will probably bring my D8 just so i can check signal levels and back up what I roll for.   I'm just sick of waiting for the right time.  Sometimes the right time is RIGHT NOW and you just have to give it go.  I like failing sooner to ultimately succeed faster.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 07:45:29 PM by tscales »

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:11:44 PM »

Well - i have alot goin for me - I bought it off TNTJAZZ and its been recording show for years - so it IS tested.  I have my updated drivers installed and backed up on my ipod if I need them on the fly while at the show.  Truthfully - this particualar show isn't a bad place to test, but I completely agree (if people would stop inviting me out and to weddings I might have some free time to do it at home, but this is the closest I have to free time to play and my buddy ethan has the show well covered)

I will probably bring my D8 just so i can check signal levels and back up what I roll for.   I'm just sick of waiting for the right time.  Sometimes the right time is RIGHT NOW and you just have to give it go.  I like failing sooner to ultimately succeed faster.

I know that laptop.  Seen it in action many times.  Nice and compact.  I doubt you'll encounter any problems but def. check at home to make sure your laptop recognizes your ua-5.  For some reason, TNJazz's powerbook will never recognize my ua-5, twice he has brought it for a patch and not gotten squat.  Now when I run my lappy I always go through my m-audio transit and have had no problems (don't ask why I do this, another link in the chain, I know).  For nice relaxing sit down shows in a small restaurant/bar where I know I will have a table and generally access to an outlet, I prefer laptop taping.  Gives me time to nerd out preshow/during set break and surf ts  :D

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 09:45:17 PM »
Ya always keep a copy of the drivers on the laptop.  I learned that the hard way.  Got all the way to the Summit last year and for some reason my lappy lost the drivers.  I was SOL all weekend.  Thank god I had a 722 as a backup.  :0)

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »
Got the drivers loaded in my house before I left my house however it seemed like the "ADV" switch on the edirol needed to be 'ON' for the pc to recognize it as a device - as soon as i switch it on the device wizard popped up - this switch toggles between 16 and 24 bit so I left it ON - why not record at 24/44.1.  However, Wave lab seemed to think we were recording in 16bit though, even after I set the record bit rate to 24, it was showing 16 during the record - I'll try to send up a screen shot.

I listened to it briefly last night after the show and I did get it, but I was 24-bit conservative with the gain, so its no where near peaking.  I'll look at it more closely this evening, but I was able to capture the music of Sharon Jones, just seemingly not at full strength.

Thanks all - especially TNTJAZZ.  +++T

tim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com