Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best way to get audio cassettes to PC?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
best way to get audio cassettes to PC?
« on: January 14, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »
Is one of those 5 1/4 drives the best? I'm not really concerned about having the highest fidelity, as I'll just be transferring old demos and stuff, probably saving to mp3. I'm more concerned with having a durable product, because there are a LOT of tapes.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: best way to get audio cassettes to PC?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:04:22 PM »
based on the gear in your sig I'd say get ahold of the best tapedeck you can borrow/find/afford and then feed it into your R9
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:04:40 PM »
1. If you have a tape deck and a decent audio card just connect them and record.  I have a friend that is doing this and it's a pretty easy process.  You will just need some program to read the audio from the sound card and save.  Sometimes the software that comes with the sound card will do it.

2. I have a friend that has the tape player that fits in a drive slot.  I don't know how the quality compares, but it comes with software that records pretty much automatically and can detect track splits very well.  The software that comes with it also can record in quite a few different formats and sampling rates.  It is more of a set it up and then afterwards it is a one or two touch solution for each tape.

Here is a link to the unit my friend uses in #2:
http://www.firebox.com/product/1700?src_t=wnw&currency_conversion=1
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 05:10:11 PM »
I put in a third vote for the simple route. (either deck>pc, or deck>pre>pc) but you did ask for the BEST way to do this so maybe one of these??

http://www.firebox.com/product/1700?src_t=wnw&currency_conversion=1
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »
I have a pretty decent JVC tape deck that I haven't pulled out in years...I remember it was the dual cassette deck that had the highest frequency range at Best Buy at the time :) I suppose I'd need a dual RCA to miniplug cable (or at worst, 1/4" to miniplug cable). Anyone know of where to get good quality cables like this? I've been burned by Ratshack too many times in the past.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 12:02:38 AM »
I have a pretty decent JVC tape deck that I haven't pulled out in years...I remember it was the dual cassette deck that had the highest frequency range at Best Buy at the time :) I suppose I'd need a dual RCA to miniplug cable (or at worst, 1/4" to miniplug cable). Anyone know of where to get good quality cables like this? I've been burned by Ratshack too many times in the past.

The one that HOSA makes is pretty good.....got mine at one of those Guitar Shack places.  If you want the best, try some of these guys on this forum (Ed at KindCables is first to mind.......)   :)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com