Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help fixing or ridding of "corrupted and unreadable" files  (Read 1590 times)

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Need help fixing or ridding of "corrupted and unreadable" files
« on: February 16, 2007, 02:38:13 AM »
ive got some .mp3's on my computer that i was renaming to better organize some stuff. i renamed these .mp3's, renamed the folder, then came back 2 min later to that folder and it had the original name on it. i then opened it and all the files had the original names on them. only two will play though. the others are "corrupted and unreadable" when i try to open them, delete them, rename them, or do anything else. when i highlight each one of these, they basically have no info. yet when i click on properties for each one, the correct info shows up (like file size and so forth). any clue whats goin on here? i really wanna get rid of 'em if i cant fix 'em. thanks in advance.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need help fixing or ridding of "corrupted and unreadable" files
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:15:26 AM »
ive got some .mp3's on my computer that i was renaming to better organize some stuff. i renamed these .mp3's, renamed the folder, then came back 2 min later to that folder and it had the original name on it. i then opened it and all the files had the original names on them. only two will play though. the others are "corrupted and unreadable" when i try to open them, delete them, rename them, or do anything else. when i highlight each one of these, they basically have no info. yet when i click on properties for each one, the correct info shows up (like file size and so forth). any clue whats goin on here? i really wanna get rid of 'em if i cant fix 'em. thanks in advance.

Have you done a virus scan? Not to alarm you but it seems strange..I would also do a surface scan of your hard drive. And make sure you don't have bad sectors on it. Data on computers now a days does not usually get corrupted unless there is a problem with the computer or memory or the way you transferred the files. I am not a computer tech by any means. But I think its worth doing the surface scan on your HD. I was installing windows a few days ago on my wife's machine ( the machine with all of our business records on it) And for some reason windows was taking forever to install. Turns out I had a bad hard drive.

My philosophy is any drive over 2-3 years old that has important data on it should be backed up regularly. Luckily we had. So the drive was replaced and now we are "knock on wood" good for another three years or so. The problem with hard drives is this they develop bad sectors on the surface. Each on of these sectors is a place where data gets stored. When you do a surface scan you might find "bad sectors" *if you do replace the drive* because more will form once others have been found. Your computers disk scan will mark them as bad, so no data gets stored in that sector. The problem is with "new bad sectors" is they have not been marked yet so your drive partition table does not know about them, and it will and can store data in a bad sector and you end up with corrupted data.. Just my two cents.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Need help fixing or ridding of "corrupted and unreadable" files
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:45:24 AM »
i did several virus scans of that entire folder and each bad file, and no viruses were found. nothing has changed, even after cutting my comp and external hd off and on for the past day or two. the external hd has been and still is working flawlessly with the exception of this one weird incident *knocks on wood*. anybody got a clue whats goin on? when i click on properties of the folder for example, it says "Size: 91.9MB, Size on Disc: 13.5MB"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com