Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How would you set up for moto/ cars drive-by's?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Thechase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How would you set up for moto/ cars drive-by's?
« on: December 12, 2019, 04:55:34 PM »
This is for video clips I need to record.

What's the best mic set-up I could go for to capture sound from a fast approaching vehicle (that distant screaming engine growing in loudness is awesome!), the drive-by and then the audio from it getting farther and farther away?

I have a Zoom F6 which I just got and I am still learning (love it so far) and a Rode lav only for now. Looking to add gear for that application and future ones, gear with high SPL without going with dynamics mics.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: How would you set up for moto/ cars drive-by's?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »

A mid/side mic like the Shure VP88 would be perfect for this. You can sometimes find them used at a considerable discount from new.

I did some similar recordings set up on train tracks and a stereo cardioid mic setup in ORTF did a great job of providing the location cues.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com