Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mini-XLR to 1/8" stereo adapter?  (Read 16453 times)

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
mini-XLR to 1/8" stereo adapter?
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »
A friend of mine uses lavalier mics to do interviews. He wants to pick up a recorder. I recommended the decks below but he's not sure how to handle a lav mic that terminates to a mini-XLR when the deck has 1/8" stereo jacks or regular sized XLR.

I've never really seen a mini-XLR connector in person. I'm hitting google for "mini-xlr to 1/8" stereo" but not sure what kind of adapter he would need. Do people have a model they like? TIA.

Sony PCM-D50
Edirol R-09HR
Olympus LS-10
PMD660
PMD620
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: mini-XLR to 1/8" stereo adapter?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »
well, if you had more specifics on the mics (make/model/etc), you could shoot Chris at Sound Professionals a call and ask what they have for your/his needs (as I'm sure he's got something along these lines). Otherwise ask around to some of those here that make cables (Nick/Ed/others) and maybe you could get something custom made for you

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:11:42 PM »
Do the mics terminate in a single, stereo mini-XLR, or 2 x mini-XLR (one each for L and R channel)?  Which type of mini-XLR:  3-pin?  4-pin?  And I assume the mic cable terminates in a male connector?  (Forgive the perhaps ignorant questions, I'm not terribly familiar with lav mics and their cables/terminations.)

If the mic cable terminates in a single, stereo, male 3-pin mini-XLR, there's the Sound Devices XL-3.  I haven't shopped around for pricing, so I'm not sure if it's available for less.

FWIW, instead of searching for mini-XLR, you might try searching for TA3 instead.

And Norma's right -- Ed at Kind Kables and others can make a custom cable at a reasonable price, if desired or needed.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline wolf_from_wv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
I stumbled across this topic in a google search.

I saw the following cable:

http://www.google.com/#q=4+pin+shure+instrument&hl=en&biw=1032&bih=461&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=WwmNTZ2fDMTk0gGq86jCCw&ved=0CD0QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c11454da3cc021cb

Can I cut the end off, and substitute a 1/8" jack, and use a regular lapel microphone?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com