Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rogue m120 (pics added)  (Read 7169 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Rogue m120
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
Primaluna is good stuff. I think both are fantastic values.

So, I have on loan a Melos Sha1 to try out as a gain stage because on some sources I need a bit more gain. We'll see if it is really needed or whether a passive will do. BTW, the headphone section in the Melos is nothing to sneeze at. I hooked it up quickly at lunch and a fast 10 minute listen told me that it'll give me more than enough gain. I'll see how I like it over the week.

I probably could get by with the passive but I'll listen to what this unit might bring. With the Classe ' 300 watts was more than enough to drive the Maggies with a passive. 120 watts of tube power may or may not be. This week should sort it out.

If I ended up keeping the Melos I'll be selling my Can Opener since I won't be needing it with the Melos being a tube powered head phone preamp. Anyone interested let me know. It is a great little unit and cheap, too.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Well, I think I found a nice match for the Rogues, which is the Melos SHA1. It provides more than enough gain to give the amps enough juice to make the Maggies boogie big time. So this is the system I'm going to enjoy for now. It gives me everything, or close to everything,  I'm looking for. 

So, over to the yard sale goes a number of items I don't need. Take a look.....Some screaming deals are to had.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
For fun I swapped out the Melos and threw in my passive pre tonight hoping it would be closer to what I wanted. However,  compared to the Melos it was no contest. The Melos has body and extension.  The thereness that it delivers, in combination with the Rogues, is spot on. There is no getting away from it. You can not listen to this system as background music. It quickly grabs your ear with come hither intentions. It seduces you to stop what you are doing and  pay attention to me. It not only provides the music but it also transports you to the venue or recording studio. This is a bit of hyperbole but I think you get the point of what is going on.

Anyway, what I was missing, or wanted to build upon from my Classe system I've gotten close to. We'll see how it holds up over the next few months and if some short comings become apparent but for now it is good. Very good.

My resistors and binding posts should be in by next week. When they arrive I'll install them along with the rectifier bridge and drop some shots. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and post too many shots before the project it complete. This time I'll wait
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:02:43 PM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 11:46:48 PM »
A few more  days have passed and I'm getting a better idea of what I wrought and it pleases me. The Melos SHA1 is so right and is a match made in heaven for the Rogues and Maggies.  I was happy with the Rogues' sound prior to the Melos but now I'm over the top and gushing. This little pre and headphone amp is stellar. I'm digging everything about it. The Alps black beauty along with the tube, hybrid topology has amazing qualities. Full, dynamic, extended, deep and clear.

The headphone section is something else, too. It was created as primarily a headphone amp and listening to it brings both truth and enjoyment. It is a keeper. A month back I took a leap of faith and it paid off. I've gotten the qualities I was searching for. Glad I rolled the dice.

Now, buy my left over pieces in the yard sale. Oh, and pick up a nice set of mics while you are there, too.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:41:52 AM by raymonda »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com