Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)  (Read 108313 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)
« Reply #240 on: August 05, 2021, 01:02:23 PM »
if you accidentally pull the cable out you're screwed, so I always still have some AA batteries in the machine when doing this as a backup (even Alkaline is OK---they'll give you 20 minutes of backup power to notice a problem with your USB-C cable)/
Super duper true.
Even half-used alkalines will let you swap packs, as long as you're keeping an eye on the levels.
Deep in a bag, I'd be sure to use the Wingman app to verify function occasionally, though it doesn't monitor battery level.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »
I have moved on to using a Ravpower 15000 mah battery pack over the Anker 20100 mah for normal shows, though I will use the Ankers for festivals. They're well priced, too.

https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pb203-30w-pd-portable-charger
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Mixpre 6ii. Looks like this battery will work, right?
Sure thing. That Anker looks like the newer version of what I run my Mixpre6 on.
Be sure to get a good USB-charger with USB-C.
My Anker pack runs about 10 hours, with 4 channels of phantom on the Neumann KM100 mics, and takes about 10 hours to charge back up via USB-C!
It takes WAAAAAY longer to charge via USB-A (old style USB) charger, so be sure to charge with USB-C to USB-C cable when you can.

You can run the MixPre 6 off that pack (or a smaller one, or even one which lacked USB-C) with a regular USB-A to USB-C cable but you would only get two channels of phantom power, and the power indictor would remain amber and not green in low power mode.
Thanks to all for the advice. I did order the Anker battery that I linked above. And I'm going to order this USB-C cable with right angle on both sides:
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Charging-MacBook-Matebook-Chromebook/dp/B083PP7PSS/ref=asc_df_B083Q68D52/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459728334703&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2814996110382732923&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022874&hvtargid=pla-947040120844&th=1

SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2021, 04:24:06 PM »
I should have clarified in my post above that I use the Anker 10,000mah battery. It iss plenty for several hours of 4-6ch phantom power recording + full screen brightness.

Re: USB-C cables, I have tried several---the only ones I trust anymore are Apple and Anker.

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »
I have read through the last few pages several times and am confused.

I need to provide phantom power for 4 mics, plus a line in (SDMP6ii).

I have a RAVPower RP-PB043 (20100mAh/74.3Wh - Type-C Output DC 5V 3A Max). It will only provide phantom power for 2 mics.

How do I know what provides phantom power for 4 mics?

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2021, 03:21:15 PM »
I am using a USB-C cable.

I get the message "USB Power Limit: This USB Power Source supports no more than 2 Phantom Power Inputs".

Is my problem the power pack or the cable?

My USB-C cables are "generic" - from monoprice.  Could the cable restrict power supply?

I have also reached out to Sound Devices and am waiting for a response.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »
Per SD:

Quote from: Sound Devices
To fully power the MixPre-3 II or MixPre-6 II from a USB power source not listed above, you will need BOTH of the following:

USB-C power source that is compliant with the USB powering specification and is able to output 7.5W
USB-C cable that incorporates the correct pull-up resistors to identify itself as able to provide 7.5W
If either of these conditions are not met, the MixPre recorder will operate in low power mode: maximum 2x 48v phantom channels, no HDMI, no USB-A. You can still use all of the MixPre’s channels, but only a maximum of 2 can be phantom powered.

With 5V and 3A, that battery would appear to meet the first requirement, so I would suspect that the cable is the issue. Just a guess, though. It is also possible that the battery is not "compliant with the USB powering specification". I am curious to hear what SD says...

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2021, 04:01:23 PM »
SD Said:

"It could be that the cable you are using with your power bank is not properly supplying power to the MixPre-6 II. What cable are you using to power from your current power bank?

This power bank from Anker should be able to power 4 channels of 48V phantom power on your MixPre + CH 5 and CH6:
PowerCore+ 26800 PD 45W."

I replied that I was using a generic USB-C cable (will share if I hear back again from them).

I went ahead and ordered the power bank they suggested, it comes with its own cable.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2021, 04:31:43 PM »
If you want something a little smaller, you might also try the Anker PowerCore 10000 PD. I think they are discontinued, but still available. They also have a PowerCore Slim 10000 PD that has been tempting me for a while. I think anything with PD should work with the appropriate cable. Also, make sure to get a charger for the battery that is PD compliant, otherwise you may face some LONG recharging times.

[EDIT:] It appears that the PowerCore 10000 PD is still listed on the Anker site. They introduced the PowerCore 10000 PD Redux at some point; I thought that supplanted the 10000 PD, but apparently not. I should also add that I get the full green power indicator on the MixPre with the 10000 PD, but I have never run more than four channels (never tried it with 5/6 plus the four XLR inputs).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 04:41:04 PM by aaronji »

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2021, 06:46:00 PM »
What does the PD stand for?

I am OK with a slightly larger unit.

I bought this, comes with a cable and charger so I assume it should be OK.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XRJZXKY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
What does the PD stand for?

I am OK with a slightly larger unit.

I bought this, comes with a cable and charger so I assume it should be OK.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XRJZXKY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Delivery. I believe that it adjusts the current according to the connected device's demands.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2021, 07:01:38 PM »
Power Delivery, makes sense.

I tried electrical engineering for 1 semester.  Dropped 2 EE classes.  Went back to civil engineering.  I don't get electrical stuff very well. 

Tough to figure anything out for me without everyone's help on here.

Thanks much.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2021, 08:03:53 PM »
Using the Anker battery discussed above, and an Anker cable, have run the mp6II w 4 x Schoeps actives > PFAs plus SBD into Aux for 5 hours easily.

Cable is super short, which works well in my bag:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HHKH5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2021, 09:53:16 PM »
I don't own one of these recorders, but I have followed this thread now and then. A couple people have suggested NP-F batteries, but I know they can get quite expensive and that may be one reason for the experimentation with all of the USB-C batteries.

I just wanted to share that I have been running these Dracast 6600 mAh batteries with my F6 since I first bought it, and they run that recorder for a VERY long time, even with all 6 channels going. (well over 14 hrs in my tests) They are far cheaper than the typical "pro" name batteries, but not sketchy like the cheapies you find on Amazon or eBay.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline BradleyJY15

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »
New Anker power unit and cable worked to power 4 phantom channels.  Tried new Anker cable on old Ravpower did not work.  Tried 2 old generic USB-C cables on new Anker and it worked.  So the Ravpower unit I have does not have enough power for 4 phantom channels.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.177 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com