Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 101050 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #285 on: August 22, 2006, 11:50:45 AM »
Thanks, Richard!  That makes sense.

grider -- no, I've got no knobs on my ECMS.  As I said, no gain in our traditional sense.  It probably has the FET and line drivers Richard mentions (and it sends a balanced signal).

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #286 on: August 22, 2006, 01:16:23 PM »
thanks for the input todd and tim
i ment to say a large difference in sound would sway me one way or the other
with that said i have heard a decent amount of jklab akg recordings and can't tell much difference between them and ones with full bodies
i never really saw a box live and payed much attn to it, but from the looks of it with the AA Battery next to it, its much smaller then i imagined, which is a good thing

again huge props to richard for his work as well
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #287 on: August 22, 2006, 01:26:32 PM »
Just a bit of caution here with this project as I know several folks working on several different options for the AKG capsules. 

If you are looking for an active solution that will sound just like your 480's it is not going to happen.  If you want something that has a familiar AKG sound then yes that is attainable but not an exact copy.   

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #288 on: August 22, 2006, 01:26:51 PM »

Mic bodies don't provide gain in the typical sense.  They merely buffer/strengthen the existing signal so it can drive a balanced cable and a low impedance preamp input.  There are typically two buffers in the mic body.  The first is the FET (field effect transistor) right at the capsule.  This strengthens the extremely weak signal from the capsule.  The second is the a line driver transistor(s) or a transformer, or both.  This drives the balanced cable.

What I am doing is the former only, ie., the FET.  There is no line driver and certainly no preamp.  The output impedance will be high (eg., 10k), just like the battery boxes we all use for electret mics.

I'll leave it up to others if they want to add stuff, either a line driver or a preamp stage.

Richard

Richard...rock on man....unbelievable work.

the bold part above....is that what the box is that tim linked?  and then the cap in the pictures is what richard has given the schematics too? 

thanx guys
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #289 on: August 22, 2006, 06:02:51 PM »
OK, I got a prototype working!!!

The "wooshing/scratching" noise was due to a poor connection to the mic capsule.  Now I can hear everything loud and clear and there is no hum or other noise.  Just a bit of self-noise, probably due to my preamp (my Minidisc!).

So, now I have the parts soldered to a (very small) circuit board and inside the collette.  Next I have to encase the whole thing in epoxy, and build a battery box on the other end.  I'll probably have to do some adjustments to make sure the FET is "centered" on the right voltage for optimal response.  But it is looking great so far.

I'll return to this next week...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2006, 06:55:31 PM »

The "wooshing/scratching" noise was due to a poor connection to the mic capsule.  Now I can hear everything loud and clear and there is no hum or other noise.  Just a bit of self-noise, probably due to my preamp (my Minidisc!).

So, now I have the parts soldered to a (very small) circuit board and inside the collette.  Next I have to encase the whole thing in epoxy, and build a battery box on the other end.  I'll probably have to do some adjustments to make sure the FET is "centered" on the right voltage for optimal response.  But it is looking great so far.

Richard

I wonder about stuff like the way the capsules connect to the collettes. That connection could be difficult to make work correctly and present to be a problem. It seems most every mic manufacturer has their own way to ensure good contact. Also, is the capsule/ collette junction a part of the resonator or, is all that "tuning" done in the capsule?

I for one am psyched about this! Thanks a bunch Richard! +T
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2006, 07:16:32 PM »

Richard

Were you able to get it onto a single layer of a circuit board (even if you had to use both sides) rather than a couple of layers
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2006, 10:44:52 AM »
Great work Richard.  +T

Joe
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2006, 09:56:40 PM »
Great work Richard.  +T

Joe

agreed, awesome bro!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #294 on: August 31, 2006, 11:21:29 PM »
OK, I'm still stuck on the mechanical issues.

In particular, I need a good way to connect to the center pin of the capsule.  Does anyone know how the JKlabs ones are done?  I tried a 1mm crimp, from a DB25 type computer cable, but this is not reliable.  I need something that I can embed in epoxy at the end of the collette.

I'm *almost* ready to just hard wire/solder/glue-tape my stuff right next to the cable.

Also, I'll probably be taking a break from this due to classes starting and also some more shows to tape in the fall.

So, any mechanical solutions, post here or PM.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2006, 12:26:38 PM »
I now have a digital camera and can take some pics of my JK box. If that would help, let me know. This is the box with adjustable gain versus fixed/no gain.

Charlie
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2006, 01:13:58 PM »
As I recall, the active head on my JKLabs setup has a very small metal tube attached upright to a round piece of circuit board material and permanently epoxied inside the head/colette.  The ck6x capsule pin inserts into the center of this small tube when the capsule is screwed on.

I'm pretty sure there are pictures of the inside of the active heads that were posted along with pics of the rest of my JKLabs system.  I think the links to the thread with these pics is somewhere earlier in this thread.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2006, 02:19:39 PM »
I now have a digital camera and can take some pics of my JK box. If that would help, let me know. This is the box with adjustable gain versus fixed/no gain.

Charlie

I can do the same for my 460>ck1x equipment

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2006, 02:49:08 PM »

Charlie

Thanks for the offers guys.  If you get a chance, I'd really like to understand how that center pin is fitted.  There seem to be two possibilities.  One is to have a socket to fit it, and push just a little bit up.  There is some spring in the pin.  Another way it to have a crimp of some sort in the socket.

Anyway, I got fed up last night and just hardwired to the capsule.  I guess it was the medication (???) I took, made me see things in a new light :).  All I did was wedge a thin copper wire between the capsule metal and the plastic insert.  That connects to the body. I put another wire under the nut that holds the center pin.  In the process I clumsily dissassembled the capsule.  There is really not much there at all!  Just a gold (?) diaphragm, a backplate with holes, and some kind of opening in the back.  This is a single unit mounted on plastic, soldered to a spring, plus a metal sheet/grille in the front of the capsule, and a separator ring.

Anyway, all the parts near the capsule are worth $20 max, so I'm just going to glue-tape it up and cover wth copper foil.

I'll report with gruesome pics in a few weeks.

Richard

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2006, 04:13:44 PM »

Charlie

Thanks for the offers guys.  If you get a chance, I'd really like to understand how that center pin is fitted.  There seem to be two possibilities.  One is to have a socket to fit it, and push just a little bit up.  There is some spring in the pin.  Another way it to have a crimp of some sort in the socket.

Anyway, I got fed up last night and just hardwired to the capsule.  I guess it was the medication (???) I took, made me see things in a new light :).  All I did was wedge a thin copper wire between the capsule metal and the plastic insert.  That connects to the body. I put another wire under the nut that holds the center pin.  In the process I clumsily dissassembled the capsule.  There is really not much there at all!  Just a gold (?) diaphragm, a backplate with holes, and some kind of opening in the back.  This is a single unit mounted on plastic, soldered to a spring, plus a metal sheet/grille in the front of the capsule, and a separator ring.

Anyway, all the parts near the capsule are worth $20 max, so I'm just going to glue-tape it up and cover wth copper foil.

I'll report with gruesome pics in a few weeks.

Richard

Wow, you've got balls man... taking apart a brand new cap like that.... good work!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com