Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: m148>UA-5 Question  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
m148>UA-5 Question
« on: January 08, 2006, 03:40:38 PM »
Hey guys, quick question. I recently purchased a m148 from Bagtag and have a simple question. I know to get the 148 to the UA-5 I go through the RCA's. I already have a pair of XLR>RCA on the way from Todd R. My question is I control the levels with the input volume knob on the back of the UA-5 correct? I know already I'm going to have to use the JB3's level meters (which suck) but I have enough experience with them to know what to look for. I think sooner or later I'm going to spring for an SVU-x.

Thanks!

Harrison

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: m148>UA-5 Question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 03:46:15 PM »
My question is I control the levels with the input volume knob on the back of the UA-5 correct?

thats correct. if you remember how you "usually" run your ua5 (level-wise), subtract 20db. does that make sense?
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 04:07:46 PM »
My question is I control the levels with the input volume knob on the back of the UA-5 correct?

thats correct. if you remember how you "usually" run your ua5 (level-wise), subtract 20db. does that make sense?

It does make sense. +T for the info. I must say thought that I have never run the UA-5 from the RCA's and have always used the sensitivity knobs on the front because I was going in with XLR's. I'm sure it wont be too hard to get the hang of using the input volume knob.

Harrison

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 05:03:05 PM »
I just realized this is totally in the wrong forum  ::)  :-\ :-[

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 07:23:54 PM »
fwiw, I recently ran a schoeps VMS box in front of an UA5.  I did XLR in for the opener, and ended up running the gain knobs on the UA5 at zero, and brickwalled.  You really couldn't tell if you listened to the recording (or at least I couldnt) but you could definitely tell if you looked at the waveform.  I ran RCA in for the headliner, and had no problems.  The only other problem I can see you having is if the 148 doesn't have variable gain on each channel and you're caps are significantly different, you'll have to adjust the levels in post.  The schoeps I ran were about 2 db off, so it wasn't too bad.  Cheers

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 07:40:05 PM »
fwiw, I recently ran a schoeps VMS box in front of an UA5.  I did XLR in for the opener, and ended up running the gain knobs on the UA5 at zero, and brickwalled.  You really couldn't tell if you listened to the recording (or at least I couldnt) but you could definitely tell if you looked at the waveform.  I ran RCA in for the headliner, and had no problems.  The only other problem I can see you having is if the 148 doesn't have variable gain on each channel and you're caps are significantly different, you'll have to adjust the levels in post.  The schoeps I ran were about 2 db off, so it wasn't too bad.  Cheers

Thanks for the info +T. My Cards are a little off and my new Hypers I'm not quite sure about yet but that doesn’t sound like a huge problem and can be easily fixed in post like you said. I'm looking foward to trying the brick out. First shows will be ARU in Boulder.

Harrison

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 07:44:02 PM »
Harrison, you may also want to get a knob for the volume control on the back. I use RS # 274-415  You'll have to sand it down a little so the RCA and Opti cables fit, but other than that, it works great.

-john

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com