Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCMCIA soundcard?  (Read 5319 times)

Offline JeffK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
PCMCIA soundcard?
« on: October 17, 2002, 04:10:22 PM »
So... a friend just bought a laptop to take on the road with him.  He wants to be able to do DAT > CDR transfers in the hotel room.  So, he really only needs a 16 bit solution for now.  He's got a V3 on the way though too, so a 24/96 solution wouldn't be bad either.

What are the best options available right now?  I mean, could he get away with using that edirol USB device, the UA-1 or something like that?  Is the VxPocket still the best PCMCIA option?  

Offline d swing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re:PCMCIA soundcard?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 04:23:24 PM »
I'd stay away from all Edirol products because none of them are bit accurate.  The vx is a decent solution.  I have one and it's good for DAT transfers in a controlled envrionment but in the field I'm always freaking out because the dongle (connection from the actual card to the breakout cable) is very weak.  Also, the vx is limited to 24/48 although there are rumors of a new version that will do 24/96 (hopefully that won't be the only improvement).  

As for other solutions...you might check out the emagic 2|6.  Here's the website:  http://www.emagic.de/english/products/hardware/emi26.html
I know of one guy who uses that as his interface and likes it.  I know it does 24 bit as well but I'm not sure about sampling rates.

Finally, if your friend is looking to go for full out laptop taping he should check out the nuendo/rme multiset.  It's the most expensive of the bunch but it looks like a great interface and I think it could be used for DAT transfers since it does have s/pdif I/O.  Hope this helped some...

-d

p.s.  Also might want to check out the metric halo Mobile I/O.  It's probably to much considering it has preamps and a/d converters and it sounds like your buddy only needs a s/pdif interface.  Just thought I'd give it an "honorable mention."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com