Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has anyone used a Sony camcorder with low mic level setting?  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Ringside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Has anyone used a Sony camcorder with low mic level setting?
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »
Hello all,

I was reading about the CX260...now deleted but can be had at a discount if you're lucky, and it has a low mic level for recording in loud environments.

Has anyone tested this out? I'd probably record audio separately most of the time but it's interesting and I'd like to hear from someone with experience.

Thanks!

Offline masterplan

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Has anyone used a Sony camcorder with low mic level setting?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »
Yes I did , sony cam audio gives distorted results , because your audiorecorder has better mics and more audio settings , so on the save side : always take your audiorecorder for backup and you can use it for a matrix mix in your dvd editing  ;)

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 01:27:22 AM »
I was reading about the CX260...now deleted but can be had at a discount if you're lucky, and it has a low mic level for recording in loud environments.

I have used a Sony XR150 (similar style of camcorder to the CX260) and would definitely recommend against using the "Low" audio setting when shooting video. It caused a lot of distortion and the audio was not pleasant to listen to.  Ensure that the Micref Level (Audio): is set to "Normal"

Offline Ringside

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
Sabre did you get better results setting it at normal rather than low?? If so that's crazy, especially as they're pushing the low level setting for concert use.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:47:17 PM by Ringside »

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:07:55 PM »
Sabre did you get better results setting it at normal rather than low??
Yes, that's correct.

Offline Ringside

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »
Just to add to this. I recorded a couple of bands the other night with the camera's mic on regular and there was no distortion, just no bass so I still went with my external source. I also tried the low level but really didn't hear a difference.

Offline ace5gt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 02:01:12 AM »
I set my CX580v to "Low Level" and got some distortion.  But I doubt "Normal" would be any better because it's my understanding that Low Level records the sound as is.  So if a person is speaking softly, it will be that way on the video too.  But supposedly Normal adjusts the soft spots and raises them up in volume.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com