Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Oppo 205 S/PDIF 96/24 question

(1/2) > >>

noam:
My Oppo 205 does not output 96kHz/24-bit through the coaxial output - it down-samples it to 48/16.

My old Oppo 93 does output 96/24.

Is this by design? I tried every setting in the menu, it still won't output 96/24. It outputs 96/24 for the first split second of playback, then switches to 48/16.

My 93 is connected to the 205 via HDMI's. The 205 does output from the coax 96/24 it gets from the 93, but when I put the same 96/24 disc in the 205 it outputs only 48/16. 

jefflester:
pg 60 of the manual:
NOTE•Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, SACD audio cannot be sent through the  coaxial/optical  audio  output,  and  the  high  resolution  audio  on  DVD-Audio  and  Blu-ray discs will be sent out at reduced resolution. Details can be found on page 15.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf

noam:

--- Quote from: jefflester on June 13, 2021, 04:51:01 AM ---pg 60 of the manual:
NOTE•Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, SACD audio cannot be sent through the  coaxial/optical  audio  output,  and  the  high  resolution  audio  on  DVD-Audio  and  Blu-ray discs will be sent out at reduced resolution. Details can be found on page 15.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf

--- End quote ---

Thank you.

That's really sad. After using the Oppo 205 in this configuration 205>monoblocks through XLR's>speakers for 3 years, I realized (measured) that the 205's DAC/preamp is a POS that doesn't output (Through XLR's) deep bass or more than 11kHz. I inserted the  RME Signal Converter (ADI-2 DAC FS) between the Oppo and the monoblocks - so much better.

So the 205 isn't even useful as a transport.

Is there a blu-ray player that outputs 96/24 via S/PDIF?

ts:
Neither my BDP-80 or 93 will output the audio from SACD or DVD Audio thru the optical or coax outputs into a stereo amp. You have to use the analog outs on the players or an external DAC with analog outs. They'll pass high res audio from burned DVD's at 24/whatever but no commercial stuff.

I listen to all my SACD's, DVD Audio and Blu Ray audio on an OPPO BDP-93>HDMI out>Yamaha 5.1 receiver and burned DVD's with 24/48 or 24/96 files on an OPPO BDP-80>SPDIF out to integrated 2 channel amp at full resolution. Also play regular CD's on the BDP-80. No problems on either setup.

One Cylinder:
Are the SACDs you mentioned hybrid discs (they have both a SACD layer & a CD layer) or do they have just the SACD layer? I ask as I wasn't aware the signal from SACD could be carried over HDMI.

--- Quote from: ts on October 15, 2021, 09:55:47 PM ---I listen to all my SACD's, DVD Audio and Blu Ray audio on an OPPO BDP-93>HDMI out>Yamaha 5.1 receiver and burned DVD's with 24/48 or 24/96 files on an OPPO BDP-80>SPDIF out to integrated 2 channel amp at full resolution. Also play regular CD's on the BDP-80. No problems on either setup.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version