Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 117157 times)

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
^^^ The DSM mics from guysonic work well with PIP from the M10 (according to guysonic; I have never tried it myself).  DPA has a DC version of the 4061s (I think they are 4063s?) that might also work.  There are probably others as well...Someone here (illconditioned?) posted about a few mics with which he had success.
Did anyone ever compare the types of mics that run well on PIP with ones that need a battery box and/or test PIP-qualified mics for sound quality related parameters?
I mean: is there really nothing to lose by going PIP-only when doing loud stuff with PIP-specific mics?
Links to posts etc are welcome.
I guesss that's really the crux.
Scoob, aaronji....thanks for your inputs.

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
there is another question that bugs me:

how "clean" is the signal you get from the PA system at a very loud show? I mean: does 2% THD from the mics due to lack of PIP level matter when you get 5% from PA and speakers, because they are both driven to their limits? And what about noise and hum from the PA system?

Greetings,

Rainer

BTW some great reading about the performance of human hearing:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/acoustics-principles/human-hearing-amplitude-sensitivity-part-1

http://www.audioholics.com/education/acoustics-principles/human-hearing-phase-distortion-audibility-part-2

http://www.audioholics.com/education/acoustics-principles/human-hearing-distortion-audibility-part-3

http://www.audioholics.com/education/acoustics-principles/human-hearing-reprise-part-4
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
If the M10 has a basic clock rate of 48kHz, then wouldn't it double the clock jitter when you divide that in half to record at 96? I'm not planning to slow my recordings down by an octave, so I don't think I need to record signals higher than about 24000 cps.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
Just wanted to share a LOL moment . . .

Bought a M-10 a few months ago. Love it. Retired the trusty JB3 after about a decade of service in the field. Running AKG 481/3 > Oade m-248 > GAK interconnects > M-10.

First time out, I was running in a pair of ceiling mounts, spaced about 25' and each equidistant to the PA stacks at our local venue. I noticed immediately that the left channel was much stronger than the right (or the right was much weaker than the left). I compensated with the Oade by adjusting the gain knobs accordingly and recorded the show. Back at home, I read all of the M-10 threads to see if this was a common/uncommon problem. Saw some similar issues, but hoped that I didn't get a bad unit.

Next time out, same thing only with the different channel. Frustrating.

Third times a charm. In setting up for the third outing, I happened to take a look at the filter switch on one of the mics - lo and behold, it had somehow gotten switched to low. I've never, ever touched them. Changed it back to zero (0). Miracle upon miracles, both left and right channels were happily paired.

Problem and mystery solved.

Game on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:37:50 PM by BobbyHurley »
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »
I hope this question isn't seen as being in poor taste here.

But, I'm considering going from R-09HR to PCM10. The rest of my rig is: CA Ugly or ST9100 preamp, and CA14 cards or DPA 4061's.

Anyway, is there a summary of these massive PCM10 threads somewhere? I thought I would ask before slogging through parts 1-6.
thanks
Chris

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »

But, I'm considering going from R-09HR to PCM10. The rest of my rig is: CA Ugly or ST9100 preamp, and CA14 cards or DPA 4061's.

Anyway, is there a summary of these massive PCM10 threads somewhere? I thought I would ask before slogging through parts 1-6.
thanks
Chris

You can start here at the beginnings of an FAQ thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=147551.0
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »

thanks
Chris

Do it! The battery life alone is worth it.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline SMBTapes

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »

thanks
Chris

Do it! The battery life alone is worth it.

Bryonsos, I know this isn't thread appropriate, but after not hearing from you for 3 or so days (even though you'd be online), I saw in another thread that mentioned that new members to the forum are limited to the amount of PMs they can send and receive in order to cut back on spam. With that being said, I don't think I've gotten your latest PM(s) to me. Could you email me at smbtapes.productions@gmail.com so we can continue on with our mic loaning agreement? Thanks! :)
Zoom H2n w/ Internal Mics > Wintec FileMate Professional 32GB Class 10 SD/HC Memory Card

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2012, 08:08:42 AM »
^^^ The DSM mics from guysonic work well with PIP from the M10 (according to guysonic; I have never tried it myself).  DPA has a DC version of the 4061s (I think they are 4063s?) that might also work.  There are probably others as well...Someone here (illconditioned?) posted about a few mics with which he had success.

Illconditioned wrote that that the AT853 mics and CA-11's, among others, do fine recording loud shows without a box. Of course the AT853's probably need the 4.7 mod whether you use a box or not. Chris Church does not recommend that the CA-11s be used without a box, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it who had a problem.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »
I got my M10 yesterday, made the mistake of buying a standard SD card, you want the micro SD for that. FYI. BH didn't catch my mistake. Tinybox-M10-MK41: awesomely small package!
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2012, 04:35:36 AM »
What settings give the best results when using an M10-Church Audio Battery Box- Church Audio CA-14 Cards??

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2012, 05:08:29 AM »
What settings give the best results when using an M10-Church Audio Battery Box- Church Audio CA-14 Cards??

Line in.
Levels peaking near -6 dB.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
^^^ Personally, I would go mic-in unless it is quite loud; the mic input is quiet and can take a pretty hot signal.  Line-in with a battery box won't give good levels for quieter sources, especially with less sensitive mics.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2012, 12:20:40 AM »

Illconditioned wrote that that the AT853 mics and CA-11's, among others, do fine recording loud shows without a box. Of course the AT853's probably need the 4.7 mod whether you use a box or not. Chris Church does not recommend that the CA-11s be used without a box, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it who had a problem.
i recently recorded a few shows with 853 > tb > m10
no mod
came out fine
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2012, 05:22:50 AM »
^^^ Personally, I would go mic-in unless it is quite loud; the mic input is quiet and can take a pretty hot signal.  Line-in with a battery box won't give good levels for quieter sources, especially with less sensitive mics.

What would be a good number to start with on the rec level going mic-in on the M10?? I recorded my first show with the M10 at rec level 3 / mic-in and there was a noticeable hiss / noise on the recording. I've had my M10 and mics etc. checked and they are all fine, so I guess a rec level of 3 was too low. Would rec level of 6 be too high to start with going mic-in? I like to just set a level and put the recorder in my pocket and not be checking the levels throughout the gig.
I also have a Zoom H1 and have used the same mic's/battery box with the Zoom h1 and record at around 25/100 and never had this hiss/noise on a recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com