Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 117160 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2012, 06:05:13 AM »
Did you ever put the Zoom and the Sony in front of your stereo, cranked at 11, to get a feel of what the Zoom setting compares to on the Sony?
Asking for a level setting does not make any sense without providing the exact venue, spot in the venue, band name and sound tech name at the mixing console plus a reference to the local legal sound pressure levels.
(besides the details of the gear of course)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2012, 01:52:06 PM »
What would be a good number to start with on the rec level going mic-in on the M10?? I recorded my first show with the M10 at rec level 3 / mic-in and there was a noticeable hiss / noise on the recording. I've had my M10 and mics etc. checked and they are all fine, so I guess a rec level of 3 was too low. Would rec level of 6 be too high to start with going mic-in? I like to just set a level and put the recorder in my pocket and not be checking the levels throughout the gig.
I also have a Zoom H1 and have used the same mic's/battery box with the Zoom h1 and record at around 25/100 and never had this hiss/noise on a recording.

What were your levels like in that recording?  I would be surprised if the pre in the H1 was quieter than the M10's...

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
What would be a good number to start with on the rec level going mic-in on the M10?? I recorded my first show with the M10 at rec level 3 / mic-in and there was a noticeable hiss / noise on the recording. I've had my M10 and mics etc. checked and they are all fine, so I guess a rec level of 3 was too low. Would rec level of 6 be too high to start with going mic-in? I like to just set a level and put the recorder in my pocket and not be checking the levels throughout the gig.
I also have a Zoom H1 and have used the same mic's/battery box with the Zoom h1 and record at around 25/100 and never had this hiss/noise on a recording.

What were your levels like in that recording?  I would be surprised if the pre in the H1 was quieter than the M10's...

They were peaking at around -23.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
^^^  That's probably the problem; I think the signal wasn't loud enough with respect to the noise inherent in your recording chain.  You should aim to peak considerably higher than that.  Many here say -12 dB.  Personally, I shoot for -6 dB or even a little higher.

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2012, 02:47:03 PM »
^^^  That's probably the problem; I think the signal wasn't loud enough with respect to the noise inherent in your recording chain.  You should aim to peak considerably higher than that.  Many here say -12 dB.  Personally, I shoot for -6 dB or even a little higher.

Yeah, I think that is the problem. I'am going to record another gig this week with the M10. I think I need to push the rec level up to around 6, going mic in to get the -12db or better. Thanks for your help.

Offline Redrock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
If anyone is interested in how the CA-14's cards sound with just PIP on the PCM, there's a sample here: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=414767
(Kenny Wayne Shepherd 2012-07-27 Wendover, NV)

I've been waiting for a CA ugly pre since mid-May so have been using just PIP with good results (IMO)

2015 Shows: Southern Soul Assembly, Ed Kowalczyk, NMO, Lukas Nelson, Los Lonely Boys, Chris Isaak, Ben Harper, Mark Knoplfer, Carbon Leaf. . .

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #201 on: July 30, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
I had an odd problem yesterday- I uploaded all of my recordings from Friday and Saturday to my hard drive and deleted them from the SD. I probably should have re-formatted, but I didn't. I had not completely filled the card. When I started recording on Sunday, it managed to reset itself to internal memory and subsequently crapped out after 2-1/2 sets. It took me a bit to figure out why it shut down- I changed batteries then it said "memory full" so I thought maybe I needed to clean up the deleted files or something, started looking for a recycle bin to dump or something but finally hit on the memory setting and saw that it had been reset to internal.
So, has anyone had this problem and do I need to check the status of this setting every time I record?
Other than that the recorder was pure joy to work with and runs longer than all day on a pair of AA's, either alkaline or NiMH.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #202 on: July 30, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
^^^  Did you remove the card to transfer the files?  I am pretty sure it defaults to internal memory if you remove the microSD...

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »
^^^  Did you remove the card to transfer the files?  I am pretty sure it defaults to internal memory if you remove the microSD...

Maybe not, I think the battery change is the culprit. That or the fact you deleted files via PC and didn't reformat. I always use a card reader to transfer files, but I don't delete things on the card, I reformat when it gets full. I regularly put partially filled cards back in the deck and haven't had it default to the internal memory. I think I took the card out once while the deck was powered up, and it defaulted.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Redrock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »
^^^ Make sure your micro SD cards is in the correct way. I think it can go in upside down and not be recognized thus defaulting to internal. ^^
2015 Shows: Southern Soul Assembly, Ed Kowalczyk, NMO, Lukas Nelson, Los Lonely Boys, Chris Isaak, Ben Harper, Mark Knoplfer, Carbon Leaf. . .

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
^^^ Make sure your micro SD cards is in the correct way. I think it can go in upside down and not be recognized thus defaulting to internal. ^^

I was just going to post that.  It can be very confusing!  Especially if you almost never remove the card.

Plus, the correct way is contacts facing up.  That seems the opposite of most devices.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »

Maybe not, I think the battery change is the culprit. That or the fact you deleted files via PC and didn't reformat. I always use a card reader to transfer files, but I don't delete things on the card, I reformat when it gets full. I regularly put partially filled cards back in the deck and haven't had it default to the internal memory. I think I took the card out once while the deck was powered up, and it defaulted.

I think you are right.  I am trying to remember how I made it do this; I seem to recall that it defaults to internal memory if you swap the card for a different card.  I think it also does that if you change the contents of the card using a card reader and then re-insert the same card.  I don't have it in front of me, though, so I could definitely be wrong!

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »

I think you are right.  I am trying to remember how I made it do this; I seem to recall that it defaults to internal memory if you swap the card for a different card.  I think it also does that if you change the contents of the card using a card reader and then re-insert the same card.  I don't have it in front of me, though, so I could definitely be wrong!

Battery Swap or Card Swap resets memory to internal. One more reason to make sure that Cross Memory Recording is turned on.
That said the act of switching to Memory Card from internal is also my test that the Memory Card is inserted properly. MicroSD cards will fit in the right way but not seat properly. If the memory card isn't in right, the unit won't let you switch to the Memory Card.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
^^^  On mine, changing the batteries doesn't make it switch to internal memory...

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »
^^^  On mine, changing the batteries doesn't make it switch to internal memory...

My bad.
What I get for posting from memory without checking my unit.  ::)
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com