Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 117297 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2012, 05:58:23 PM »
Thinking about it more, if it helps with the camera analogy --

More megapixels are better, so you'd rather a 20mp camera over a 10mp camera. But what if the 20mp camera mfg couldn't really make a reliable sensor, and with their 20mp sensor, they randomly would get 5% of the pixels that would show up pink, no matter what you were taking a picture of. Now, would you rather have the 20mp camera or the 10mp camera?  What if the camera had a button for 10mp operation (and the pixels were all accurate) and a setting for 20mp operation, but again, you'd get a whoe bunch of pink pixels. Which settign would you choose?

The issue is actual, real world operation, not theoretical operation. None of us really knows whther our recorders or A/D's actually perform worse when set to perform at 24/96, and there is a lot of info out there that getting performance at 96 to be better than 48 is no easy task.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
A higher sampling rate produces a more accurate representation of the analog sound wave than a lower sampling rate will. It's as simple as that. And I'll always go with the best possible representation of the original signal.

In addition to what Todd said, please google "Nyquist" and "sampling theory", not to mention frequency response of human hearing, and then tell me "it's as simple as that"...

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2012, 02:22:34 AM »
Human hearing? Who said we are all humans?

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2012, 07:46:37 AM »
In addition to what Todd said, please google "Nyquist" and "sampling theory", not to mention frequency response of human hearing, and then tell me "it's as simple as that"...

Actually, I don't have to Google that. I still have my lecture notes from University ;)

What the Nyquist theorem states is that, to fully represent a signal with a frequency component F, you need at least a sampling frequency of 2F. For sampling frequencies >2F, the resulting digital representation will still be more accurate. While it's not necessary to represent frequencies higher than what the human ear can hear, the frequencies we can hear will be represented more accurately.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2012, 12:19:41 PM »
I'm sorry if this has been covered in this conversation before. I tried to search for it, but couldn't find it...

Has anyone used 32gb micro sd cards in the m-10? Does this work? If so, any specific cards to recommend?

-colargol

I like the Lexar Class 10 microSDHC cards.  I've been using one in my M10 since February without incident.  Love having over 30 hours available at 48/24.  :)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »
What the Nyquist theorem states is that, to fully represent a signal with a frequency component F, you need at least a sampling frequency of 2F. For sampling frequencies >2F, the resulting digital representation will still be more accurate. While it's not necessary to represent frequencies higher than what the human ear can hear, the frequencies we can hear will be represented more accurately.

The other keyword there is "fully".  Other sources use "exactly", "perfectly", and "completely".  Maybe I am wrong, but the way I read it (in many sources) is that once you get above 2F there is no value in further increasing.  In fact, that is the point of the theorem.  As Lavry puts it:

Quote from: Lavry
The notion that more is better may appeal to one's common sense. Presented with analogies such as more pixels for better video, or faster clock to speed computers, one may be misled to believe that faster sampling will yield better resolution and detail. The analogies are wrong. The great value offered by Nyquist's theorem is the realization that we have ALL the information with 100% of the detail, and no distortions, without the burden of "extra fast" sampling.

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »
The other keyword there is "fully".  Other sources use "exactly", "perfectly", and "completely".  Maybe I am wrong, but the way I read it (in many sources) is that once you get above 2F there is no value in further increasing.  In fact, that is the point of the theorem.  As Lavry puts it:

Quote from: Lavry
The notion that more is better may appeal to one's common sense. Presented with analogies such as more pixels for better video, or faster clock to speed computers, one may be misled to believe that faster sampling will yield better resolution and detail. The analogies are wrong. The great value offered by Nyquist's theorem is the realization that we have ALL the information with 100% of the detail, and no distortions, without the burden of "extra fast" sampling.

This is correct. All original frequencies are represented fully in a signal sampled with twice the highest frequency.

However, oversampling has some advantages, according to Wikipedia:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Oversampling helps avoid aliasing, improves resolution and reduces noise.

I have yet to see any proof that oversampling could in any way do any damage to a recording. Yes, processing takes significantly longer, but that is not a problem for me. Yes, 96kHz recordings will take up twice the space of 48kHz ones, but space is dirt cheap these days and I have enough of it.

There's really no need to argue over this. As far as I'm concerned, everybody can do it as they like. This was my last comment on this subject.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »
More megapixels are better

Depends on the implementation - if packed into the same space as less MP then noise usually increases noticably.

Now what was this thread about?

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
I'd like to hear some first-hand opinions on running small mics w/ the M10 for high SPL shows.  Batt box necessary..?  Low sens capsules necessary..?  Does the M10 provide adequate plug in power for smaller mics?  What are your favorite mics?  FWIW I run full-size rig..so this smaller application is all new to me. 

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
The M10's plugin voltage is fairly low. While some mics will work with it, a battery box is highly recommended especially for high SPL shows.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
I'd like to hear some first-hand opinions on running small mics w/ the M10 for high SPL shows.  Batt box necessary..?  Low sens capsules necessary..?  Does the M10 provide adequate plug in power for smaller mics?  What are your favorite mics?  FWIW I run full-size rig..so this smaller application is all new to me. 

Why would you not like to use a batterybox ?
Are there actually quality mic's for sale that don't have batteryboxes ? I can only think of the cheapest mic's on the market , like Sony used to make them .
Core Sound has a low cost version of their mic's available that require no batterybox ( http://www.core-sound.com/lcmics/1.php ) but why opt for a cheap version anyway if you are a serious taper ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »

but why opt for a cheap version anyway if you are a serious taper ?
Not sure...seeking answers...I'm unfamiliar with battery boxes and the need for them.  Logic dictates - I have something (an M10) that can provide plug in power...so why add another piece (like a battery box) to the chain..?  I guess that's the question.
Serious taper....not sure who/what that is...I've had my moments.  :-*

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »
^^^ The DSM mics from guysonic work well with PIP from the M10 (according to guysonic; I have never tried it myself).  DPA has a DC version of the 4061s (I think they are 4063s?) that might also work.  There are probably others as well...Someone here (illconditioned?) posted about a few mics with which he had success.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
^^^ The DSM mics from guysonic work well with PIP from the M10 (according to guysonic; I have never tried it myself).  DPA has a DC version of the 4061s (I think they are 4063s?) that might also work.  There are probably others as well...Someone here (illconditioned?) posted about a few mics with which he had success.
Did anyone ever compare the types of mics that run well on PIP with ones that need a battery box and/or test PIP-qualified mics for sound quality related parameters?
I mean: is there really nothing to lose by going PIP-only when doing loud stuff with PIP-specific mics?
Links to posts etc are welcome.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »

but why opt for a cheap version anyway if you are a serious taper ?
Not sure...seeking answers...I'm unfamiliar with battery boxes and the need for them.  Logic dictates - I have something (an M10) that can provide plug in power...so why add another piece (like a battery box) to the chain..?  I guess that's the question.
Serious taper....not sure who/what that is...I've had my moments.  :-*

The key point here, is that not all recorders put out the same voltage for plug-in power. The M10 in particular is fairly anemic, and while it will work with a few mics and quieter material, in most cases it isn't enough and a 9V battery box will be much more reliable. The Church Audio battery box is basically a cap that fits on the end of a 9V battery. Can't get much smaller.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com