Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: omnis for stealth  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: omnis for stealth
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 03:03:25 PM »
In a way I think you have this backwards. A bottle clinking, in a club, becomes a part of the surroundings, while you are there. In other words, you almost expect to hear it, so it is not startling after the first one or or two. On the other hand, conversations directly behind you, are more likely to get your attention, since you cannot see where it is coming from, as opposed to conversations in front of you. Of course my opinion is based on my paranoia of a tiger, or something else, stalking me.  :hmmm:

We unconsciously filter out much of the conversations behind us, until they cross a threshold where we become consciously aware of them.  We can consciously ignore them until they cross another threshold where those sounds are competing with what we are actively concentrating on.  We do the same for reflections, reverberation, and whatever.  When a bottle clinks, it crosses those unconscious thresholds which other chatter does not - we're well evolved to unconsciously react to a twig-snap in the woods so that we direct our consciousness towards the tiger stalking us.

You're talking about conscious processes and the conscious direction of hearing.  The loin's share of human hearing processing is done unconsciously.

Its useful to contrast hearing, which concerns the mechanical and unconscious mental auditory processing systems which are not consciously directed, with listening, which is a higher order function dependent on the foundation of hearing, yet concerns consciously direction of attention and concentration on content).

A bottle clinking, in a club, becomes a part of the surroundings, while you are there. In other words, you almost expect to hear it, so it is not startling after the first one or or two.
^That's conscious listening overriding unconscious hearing.  We're evolved to take unconscious notice of things like bottle clinks and twig snaps, until we consciously or semi-consciously categorize the source and disregard it as a threat.  Then we may begin to consciously ignore it as we focus our listening attention elsewhere.

When a conversation behind you is loud enough to be heard, it has crossed the first threshold of hearing.  You can and do consciously ignore conversations behind you until they begin to cross the second threshold where they become too distracting to ignore, and that's when they start to actively interfering with your listening.

Your paranoia about tigers is a high-order conscious / semi-conscious thing and doesn't really have anything to do with evolutionary hearing traits.  This is not about paranoia.  Reaction to surprise transients (the twig snap, the bottle clink) is unconscious and an evolutionary derived over eons by selection of those who startled and ran away rather than not-starling and getting eaten before they could reproduce.  Complex animals have a startle reflexes rooted in self-preservation, and this is a well known auditory specific aspect of that. 

Of course if you are paranoid concerning tiger attacks, and you suspect that you are danger of one, you'll consciously direct your hearing process to listen for twig-snaps.  Which is sort of the opposite of hearing bottle clinks, categorizing them as non-threatening and not of particular interest, and subsequently ignoring them (until they cross the second threshold).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »
Bottle clinks in bars with regards to a paranoia of cougars is an entirely different discussion.  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »
Bottle clinks in bars with regards to a paranoia of cougars is an entirely different discussion.  ;)

This made me smile   :D :D :D

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
I hated Psychology class. I am also imagining a panther running through the crowd at Skipper's right now, for some reason. 
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 08:30:51 AM »
I am also imagining a panther running through the crowd at Skipper's right now, for some reason.

Some of those are bidirectional!

Offline dnuggs

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Festivaaaaal!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »
I am also imagining a panther running through the crowd at Skipper's right now, for some reason.

Some of those are bidirectional!

My last few visits to Skipper's turned my mic stand into a bidirectional magnet for the drunktarded :angry3: :alert:.   Heh can't win em all...To make up for it I have a killer omni Legendary Jc's recording from there with less crowd in attendence.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:35 PM »
Whoo, love the LJC's!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com