Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: New computer: build, buy, or go Mac?  (Read 9496 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TSKB: New computer: build, buy, or go Mac?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:41:57 AM »
Linux + virtualization for your winblows needs.

And check out the Linux + Enlightenment desktop...for a Mac-like setup. MoonOS is the best implementation of E17 that I've come across.

http://moonos.co.cc/ - (although - looks like the site currently down...)

Elive is another E17 setup - but they seem pushy about donations - so I havent tried that yet.

But honestly - to your original point - cant your current box take more/faster RAM?
You'll notice a huge difference if you can bump your existing box up to 2GB.

How do you Mac guys make a flac fingerprint? I cant figure it out on Linux either.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »

How do you Mac guys make a flac fingerprint? I cant figure it out on Linux either.

Using xACT.

Offline crazifyngers

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »
heads up on the windows 7 if that is the way you decide to go, you will need to get windows 7 pro for jb3 to work.  drivers for jb3 stopped at xp and only win7 pro and ultimate come with xp mode that come with usb passthrough support.  although you will need cpu virtualization support for xp mode.  all X series athlons have this.  although if ;you don't want to go with pro then do virtualbox or some other VM but this will require an additional windows xp license... well to be completely legal.  also when using the jb3 in a VM you can only use the usb side.  This limits you to usb 1.1 which is painfully slow.  As far as macs go i do not think that the jb3 is supported in 10.6.   I think what i am getting at is it may be time to upgrade your recorder when you upgrade your computer for compatibility state.  :)
Gotta love the rat-tail Jerry has; it's where his power comes from!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »
heads up on the windows 7 if that is the way you decide to go, you will need to get windows 7 pro for jb3 to work.  drivers for jb3 stopped at xp and only win7 pro and ultimate come with xp mode that come with usb passthrough support.  although you will need cpu virtualization support for xp mode.  all X series athlons have this.  although if ;you don't want to go with pro then do virtualbox or some other VM but this will require an additional windows xp license... well to be completely legal.  also when using the jb3 in a VM you can only use the usb side.  This limits you to usb 1.1 which is painfully slow.  As far as macs go i do not think that the jb3 is supported in 10.6.   I think what i am getting at is it may be time to upgrade your recorder when you upgrade your computer for compatibility state.  :)

Oh please.  All that garbage just to run the bad jb3 software?   Just use one of the open source jb3 tools.  And the notion that microsoft's forced obsolescence via incompatibility should dictate your recorder choice is absurd.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »

Oh please.  All that garbage just to run the bad jb3 software?   Just use one of the open source jb3 tools.  And the notion that microsoft's forced obsolescence via incompatibility should dictate your recorder choice is absurd.

agreed, make ms obsolete.  >:D
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

runonce

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 01:27:05 AM »

agreed, make ms obsolete.  >:D

With HDs so big - no reason to have just ONE OS on your computer! Dual booting is easy enough.

Just have a Linux partition...and connect your JB3 with GNOMAD2. Transfer. And boot back to Windows (or whatever) if you must. Only downside is Gnomad2 only supports USB speeds.

VM ware is an option too - but I've not run a box like that so I'll leave to others to define that option.

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 01:33:19 PM »

Hey man i'm just letting him know that there are not drivers compatible with windows 7 or the new version of OS X.  i know you may think that is absurd.  I also find it absurd but i didn't make the decision to stop making drivers for jb3 and for that matter neither did M$, that was Creative's decision to stop making drivers for it.  I really wasn't trying to start an OS war.  I use windows, linux and OS X daily.  I was just letting him know potential problems before he had to deal with them.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
I also find it absurd but i didn't make the decision to stop making drivers for jb3 and for that matter neither did M$, that was Creative's decision to stop making drivers for it.

It was msft's decision to obsolete old drivers (and not just for the jb3).  They could have maintained compatibility.

The same is true for old webcams and other hardware - msft and the hardware vendors *want* to force you to buy new hardware.  They feel no guilt about filling landfills with still useful hardware.  Fortunately, most of that hardware works just fine with Linux, and keeps working release after release....

Though I will say Creative set the jb3 up for this by not making it a generic USB mass storage device.  But somewhat in their defense, it was a very early USB device and a lot of those standards were still forming.

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »
again i am not defending MS decision just letting him know.  also I love linux i have 4 linux 1 bsd and one windows computer... and i have the windows computer for work applications and that is dual boot.

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »
Linux + virtualization for your winblows needs.

And check out the Linux + Enlightenment desktop...for a Mac-like setup. MoonOS is the best implementation of E17 that I've come across.

http://moonos.co.cc/ - (although - looks like the site currently down...)

Elive is another E17 setup - but they seem pushy about donations - so I havent tried that yet.

But honestly - to your original point - cant your current box take more/faster RAM?
You'll notice a huge difference if you can bump your existing box up to 2GB.

Current box is running RDRAM... pretty much impossible to upgrade the RAM at all.  Looks like 512 MB would cost me as much as 4 GB of DDR3 RAM in a new box... not practical to upgrade RAM...
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
What did the OP decide to do? Its been a month after last post.

I think I'm going to build a PC but I don't know what OS to use yet because I don't have one. I want linux on it because its free but the Vista / 7 issue is still undecided.

I was looking the Dell Zino and its nice but at the end of the day, it would be more expensive than building my own and the processor would be as fast plus a lot less room for expandability.

My current computer is fine for audio provided I'm not doing much else on it but terrible for HD video and that's what I'm interested in upgrading for.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »
Check out the HP z800 workstation.

Quad Core, Dual Procecessor and two network cards each 1 gig make this a super fast box.  Add up to 5 internal HDs RAIDable and this is a monster box. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »
Check out the HP z800 workstation.

Quad Core, Dual Procecessor and two network cards each 1 gig make this a super fast box.  Add up to 5 internal HDs RAIDable and this is a monster box.

-I hate HP printers.
-I would rather have AMD
-I don't have internet
-I would rather have off site HDD
-toooooo much money
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »
For HD video I would either do Windows 7 (64 bit) or OS X.

It will be cheaper to build a Windows box (that has the equivalent power to a Apple product)...but I'd much prefer to use Final Cut (Apple) for HD video.

If it comes down to it, and cost is an option (which I'm assuming it is). I'd rather build a Windows box with Avid for HD video editting. Almost as good for less money.

As far as I know, linux is pretty limited in the HD video editting, but I don't know much about Linux for anything more than very basic computing.

What did the OP decide to do? Its been a month after last post.

I think I'm going to build a PC but I don't know what OS to use yet because I don't have one. I want linux on it because its free but the Vista / 7 issue is still undecided.

I was looking the Dell Zino and its nice but at the end of the day, it would be more expensive than building my own and the processor would be as fast plus a lot less room for expandability.

My current computer is fine for audio provided I'm not doing much else on it but terrible for HD video and that's what I'm interested in upgrading for.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Taperssection Regular
  • "sharon, what the fuck is a Beiber?!?" -Ozzy
    • my recent recordings
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 06:39:46 AM »
my non music job at the current moment has me in the IT field.  Let me lend my 2 cents here, if I may.  All of the feedback that you have received has been dead-on-balls-accurate, and some excellent food for thought.  Let me add in some desert.
In the 500-700 dollar range, you are going to find a lot of very capable Windows 7 based PC's in any big box store.  Warranty is nice to have because the computer companies have been known to build a lemon or two.  Standard MFW is 12 months.  DIY is fun (and sometimes not), and you have something you accomplished to be proud of, but the hours and hours of researching parts, compatibility, etc is consuming.  Look at your personal time as you would if you were getting paid for it.  How much is this machine worth to build, in personal time?

MAC vs. PC.  If I could justify the money, I would abandon the PC world altogether, and go Mac.  Better QA in build, simpler O/S, and tough as nails.  The flip side to that is software compatibility, in any area.  You are extremely limited in this area, but it is getting slowly more hopeful, as more people make the leap to Mac.  Software for what we do is WIDELY available for PC, shareware, freeware, and copywritten for sale.

You are very right about USB.  Almost infinite possibility for expansion with USB compatible devices.  I have done many many hours of editting and matrix mixing on my laptop, tethered to all of my external drives, and equipment.  Mac still likes to use firewire, but they do have USB on all machines (the MacBook Air does not have FW, just USB), and all you need is one to hook up a USB expansion bus.  the speed difference between USB 2.0 and firewire is negligable, IMHO.  USB information transfer across a bus between devices is going to slow you down a tad, anyway.

It sounds as if you have enough reliable back-up as far as other computers available, so the choice is not limited by this.  I can tell you that almost anyhting in Best Buys add in that price range, other than the eMachine and Compaq DT's are going to be infinately fater than what you currently have now.  I would not settle for anything less than dual core processors.  Quad core if it fits the budget, but not necessary just for music editting.  As for Windows 7:
Microsoft made a mistake with Vista.  They acknowledge that to some degree, for various reasons that I will not go into now.  I liked Vista.  The only compatibility issue that I ever had (and eventually corrected) was with WinTaper, of all things.  With that said, it took me a 7 beat intro to BIODTL to switch over once I used Win7 a bit.  Less resource dependent (hmm, like Leopard/Snow Leopard), more visually appealing (again, like Mac), XP compatibility mode in professional and ultimate packages (see Bootcamp / Parallels) and the very important compatibility with your older peripherals. 

Newegg carried Win XP for developers for sale at a cheap price.  Microsoft does not sell it anymore, and does not support it.  It was around almost 10 years.  Vista is even difficult to find in Best Buy, as well, because the Microsoft empire is really pushing the herd towards 7.  Now that I said that, a little more opinion:  Mac allows independence and individuality.  Windows really is big brother corralling the herd together.  Microsoft has more customers then the Catholic church has Christians.  think about it :)

I hope in some small way, I didn't rant, and actually provided you with at least one line of useful info

"Christopher, it's a thin line between taper and stalker" - Adam Terrell

Busman BSC1 (K11, K2, K3, K4) > PMD 660 (Busman mod)
Nakamichi CM-300 (non-mod) > MX-100/ART usb pre > (CP-1, CP-2, CP-4 guns) > Zoom h4n

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.358 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com