Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My Versatile Extension Pole - With Pics  (Read 43491 times)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: My Versatile Extension Pole - With Pics
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »
Besides price, the only difference I notice is the handle. Bogen/Manfrotto has a lever style where the clone has a T.  Between those two options I would take the T as the lever sometimes runs into an obstruction if trying to clamp in a tight spot and you can't tighten the clamp enough to get a grip due to the lever running into an obstacle. There is a third option, an indexing lever handle where you can reposition the lever to get the clamp completely tight. Smith-Victor is one manufacturer of the super clamp who makes an indexing handle. There are probably others and even B/M may make one.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:26:42 PM by flipp »

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
The extension pole will slip right over the stud of the super clamp.  You don't need anything else to make that work.  What I WOULD recommend is one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546442-REG/Manfrotto_203_203_Extension_Arm_for.html

When clamping to something horizontal (a rail, a table, an armrest), the super clamp works great.  But you could find yourself needing to clamp to something vertical, which orients the clamp in the wrong direction for attaching anything to.  This little extension arm allows you to change the orientation.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
Ok, thanks!

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 02:58:49 AM »
What flipp said ^^: I have S.C.'s from both manufacturers and if you can wait for it to come in, the Impact super clamp is identical except for the shape of the tightening handle and it's $10 cheaper.

On a side note, was in B&H the other day, played around with THIS and nearly creamed my jeans.  Rock solid (supports 11lbs.), extends to 34", interlocking teeth so it doesn't slip, half-turn ratchet system to unlock it and lots of different ways to position it.  Currently have no real use for an arm like this but might try to talk myself into one. ;D

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
I've got nothing of substance to add to this thread, just this comment: I think the title of this thread should be nominated for an award.

That is all.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2010, 08:59:08 PM »
After more searching, I found this clamp: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5192-REG/Manfrotto_2941_2941_Mini_Clamp_with.html
Anyone with experience?

I appreciate the help guys- I just want to make the best purchase for the money. Sorry if I'm nagging :-[

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »
I like this clamp.  It has a lot going for it.  But, if I was to pick only 1 clamp, I really like the Ultraclamp, even better with some tapped mods...maybe I'll upload some photos.  Nevertheless, the miniclamp is great for doing split omnis and you can put a homemade bar right through it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 12:30:54 AM »
When discussing clamps, I think it's important to differentiate based on usage.  Not all clamps are good for all purposes.  Some might be good for stand-clamping (UltraClamp, Windtech C, Mini Clamp), others might be good for railings and extension bars (SuperClamp, Quick Release Clamp).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:33:15 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »
When discussing clamps, I think it's important to differentiate based on usage.  Not all clamps are good for all purposes.  Some might be good for stand-clamping (UltraClamp, Windtech C, Mini Clamp), others might be good for railings and extension bars (SuperClamp, Quick Release Clamp).
What would be good for a seatback or armrest attached to an extension pole?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2010, 01:15:27 AM »
What would be good for a seatback or armrest attached to an extension pole?
[/quote]

see post http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110425.msg1756072#msg1756072

I agree with ted. Do you have a bogen extension?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Sectionar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2010, 08:22:22 AM »
Nice Versatile Extension Pole, i wanna that  8)

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »
I'm getting a manfrotto extension.

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
I like this clamp.  It has a lot going for it.  But, if I was to pick only 1 clamp, I really like the Ultraclamp, even better with some tapped mods...maybe I'll upload some photos.  Nevertheless, the miniclamp is great for doing split omnis and you can put a homemade bar right through it.

I'm stuck- I love the quick release clamp but its so expensive! Anyone know about how thick the average armrest is? The mini clamp only goes to 1-1/8' wide which may be too small? ???

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2010, 08:33:30 PM »
I have the Matthews pole, a superclamp with extension arm, and the quick release clamp. Here's my thoughts:

I don't like the Matthews pole. The top section (part that screws, not the pole) cracked and while I was eventually able to get them to ship me a new part, they didn't replace the whole thing and now when fully extended, it leans off to the side a little. Eventually I will have one custom made for me from the folks at APIC. The Bogen one is way too long when fully closed for me.

I don't like the quick release clamp. It is very expensive and seems sturdy, but the brass ring on the end of the screw snapped off when screwing it to an arm rest at Great Woods last summer. I managed to bend it back on, but for the price, it should be more solid and I think this weakness is an overlooked design flaw. If you are screwing it to something completely flat like a table or bench, I'm sure its fine, but it is not good for uneven surfaces.

I really like the Superclamp. I use it all the time, but only with the extension arm and the Matthews pole. With all three pieces, there is always somewhere on the armrest or seat bracing that you can clamp to and then adust the angle of the arm to get the pole up in the air.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:17:10 AM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com