Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M1..analog in/digi out question  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Chapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
M1..analog in/digi out question
« on: February 06, 2004, 02:58:38 PM »
Was thinking of picking up a Sony 7pin/optical cable to feed my JB3..either out of a SBM1 (which I don't have, but may pick one up) or out of my M1 (when going analog in on the M1).   If I am going analog in on the M1, will it output digital via the 7pin/optical cable...or is it going to get confused about the input.  
I've heard that as long as you initially pick up the signal via the analog in, then plug in the 7 pin, it won't get confused.   This was tried on a D8 a while back (not by me) and the D8 did indeed get confused and looked for the digi in as soon as the 7 pin was plugged in.  
I don't mind the A/D stage on the M1, would like to bypass the A/D on the JB3 though...would this work?

..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:M1..analog in/digi out question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 03:50:55 PM »
The M1 will certainly output a digital signal via the 7-pin while using an analog input.  I've done this before on my D100.

As to the question of whether the M1 will get "confused"...I don't think so.  I vaguely recall running SBD analog into my D100 and 7-pin/coax out to another deck without having to be concerned about which cable was plugged in first, etc.

Is the Sony 7-pin/optical cable a one-way cable?  If so - I haven't tried this as I don't have the cable - I *think* the M1 will know to record from the analog input if the 7-pin/optical cable is output only.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 05:31:19 PM »
You must have an active cable with the digi-analog switch to do this.  If you stick a 7-pin without the switch into an M1 or D100, it will assume you want to use digital input.  The old D7/D8 could be tricked by first starting recording (or at least record pause) with analog in (and no 7-pin connected), and then connecting the 7-pin to provide the digi out patch.

This doesn't work with the M1/D100.  To take an analog input and provide a digi out, you must use the 7-pin cable with the little switch, and then set the switch to analog.  If you want to take digital in and provide a digital output with the M1/D100 you can either use the a 7-pin with the switch set to digital, or you can use a passive cable that doesn't have the little switch.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 05:34:47 PM »
Ahhhh...thanks, Todd.  I must've been using an active cable with the switch way back in my vague recollection of running analog in / digi out.  Thanks for the info.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Chapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 05:55:58 PM »
Does the 7pin/optical cable have the switch?  I have the coax with the switch, always wondered what the hell it was for!  
Thanks for the info...think I'll pick one up.  
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com