Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Difference Beween the m148 and m248?  (Read 19934 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Difference Beween the m148 and m248?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 05:34:59 PM »
yeah, its not altered, it just has coloration, i thouight it was overkill too, but it was just right, i had the 148 at a fixed gain of 20 + about 10 db of gain on the v3, perfect touch, alot of ppl really love the 148>v3 sound even tho its a $2,600 combo :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 05:20:12 AM »

got a modsbm1 and I think, at the moment, it's a cleaner representation of what the m148 can do than either a v3 or mme.

i've always found the mod-sbm to exaggerate the low end and be the opposite of a "clean representation" of a pre or mics

hey marc i don't think we've had an argument in a while.  weird :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 09:44:01 AM »
got a modsbm1 and I think, at the moment, it's a cleaner representation of what the m148 can do than either a v3 or mme.

Are you smoking crack again, Marc, in addition to all your pain killers?  For all you n00bs who don't know Marc's presence on this board, key words here are "at the moment".  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 10:04:45 AM »
michal's adc murders the grace,mod sbms and the apogee.

:-*

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 10:20:46 AM »
muj, if the 722 comes anytime soon, i'll be showing everyone the greatness of the stereo192 :)

not bringing the big powerbook to shows anytime soon (i don't think).  too big and i don't trust having it at shows so i've just been running 16 bit recently :(

Offline newblue

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 10:22:14 AM »
sorry to sound like a wook here, which I do, but why would you run a preamp (148) into a preamp/converter unit (V3), isn't that a little redundant?  or is it the case that you can turn off the preamp function of the V3 and just go with its a/d converter function?  in which case an Apogee unit would make more sense (AD1000 or the MiniMe with its preamp function turned off), it seems that a preamp going into another preamp would produce a very altered sound

yep.

however, if you eliminate the adk for being old and not serviceable, the mme for being a piece of shit, all that's really left is the v3 or a modsbm1. can't run a 2k because the gain is fixed.

have to say that all the peeps who said running a mme and a v3 behind a m148 are the same thing were right...you're running a pre behind a pre either way, and actually, I think you can turn the gain down lower in the v3, and get less pre than running the mme line in.

If you run line in to the mme, isn't that just taking the signal that is coming into the box and running it through the adc w/ no pre.  This was my understanding.  Kind of an either/or thing.
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 10:26:44 AM »

i've always found the mod-sbm to exaggerate the low end and be the opposite of a "clean representation" of a pre or mics

There's 3 different mods, maybe you haven't heard any of the t-mod tapes yet. I had a p-mod modsbm and it definitely wasn't as clean sounding as the d100 a/d. Too bad I didn't find this out until a year and a half after I got it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 10:40:21 AM »
why would you run a preamp (148) into a preamp/converter unit (V3), isn't that a little redundant?  or is it the case that you can turn off the preamp function of the V3 and just go with its a/d converter function?  in which case an Apogee unit would make more sense (AD1000 or the MiniMe with its preamp function turned off)

Check out Todd R's very informative post on gain stages.  Helps to understand the distinction between "gain stage" and "preamp".  Whether running mic-in or line-in, the AD1K, MMe, V3, etc., each runs through the same gain stage.  And not the same across all boxes, obviously.  ;)
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2004, 10:51:53 AM »

not saying the mod sbm1 is clean and transparent at all. I believe it is warm and round. but i do think I'm getting a more true representation of what the m148 sounds like than when I ran the mme. and I think that's because of the mme pre. the bass is WAY cleaner with the mod sbm1, the soundstage tighter, even when taking into account the "rounding off" the modsbm1 does, imho. Some of this, I think, is that these two components are essentially hand made for one another, to some degree.

this is more an indictment of the mme pre screwing up uv22 than a ringing endorsement of the modsbm1. lesser of two evils. I liked my 4022>m148>mme tapes. After 10-12 shows, I like 4022>m148>modsbm1 more. i'm very surprised I think this way, thought I'd be gripping about it.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2004, 11:31:55 AM »
muj, if the 722 comes anytime soon, i'll be showing everyone the greatness of the stereo192 :)

not bringing the big powerbook to shows anytime soon (i don't think).  too big and i don't trust having it at shows so i've just been running 16 bit recently :(

Scott,that's nice.the sd looks like a winner.How does the bass sound through the stereo192,is it tighter than the v3?

edited: for spelling
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 03:26:00 PM by muj »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2004, 12:53:31 PM »
If you run line in to the mme, isn't that just taking the signal that is coming into the box and running it through the adc w/ no pre.  This was my understanding.  Kind of an either/or thing.

No, no, no. You can't "turn the preamp off"... the box isn't setup like that. The link that Skalinder posted from a Todd R post should tell you what you need to know.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2004, 04:10:49 PM »
hey Songsoffreedom and Tim, its my understanding having owned a MME that if you turn the gain knobs all the way down to the left, at which time they click into a locked position, then the preamp function in inactivated and the unit then operates purely as an ad converter just like the AD1000 does, I could be mistaken about this but I think I am correct, and there sure are a lot of people running a nice preamp in front of their MiniMe's to have its preamp function on as well

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2004, 04:20:30 PM »
hey Songsoffreedom and Tim, its my understanding having owned a MME that if you turn the gain knobs all the way down to the left, at which time they click into a locked position, then the preamp function in inactivated and the unit then operates purely as an ad converter just like the AD1000 does, I could be mistaken about this but I think I am correct, and there sure are a lot of people running a nice preamp in front of their MiniMe's to have its preamp function on as well

Todd R's post indicates how this works.  Really, give it a read.  But if you don't want to, I'll summarize:  One cannot "inactivate" the gain stage (preamp) on the MMe or AD1000.  One can merely reduce the amount of gain produced at the gain stage's point in the signal path.  Whether running "mic-in", or "line-in" on the AD1000 or MMe (or V3, etc.), one still runs the signal through the same analog gain stage.  It cannot be "deactivated", turned off, by-passed, removed from the signal path, etc.

So, when you used to turn your gain knobs all the way to the left until they clicked into position - you weren't "turning off" the gain stage, you were simply reducing the amount of gain in the gain stage so you could accept a line-level signal without clipping.
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2004, 04:58:23 PM »

Todd R's post indicates how this works.  Really, give it a read.  But if you don't want to, I'll summarize:  One cannot "inactivate" the gain stage (preamp) on the MMe or AD1000.  One can merely reduce the amount of gain produced at the gain stage's point in the signal path.  Whether running "mic-in", or "line-in" on the AD1000 or MMe (or V3, etc.), one still runs the signal through the same analog gain stage.  It cannot be "deactivated", turned off, by-passed, removed from the signal path, etc.

So, when you used to turn your gain knobs all the way to the left until they clicked into position - you weren't "turning off" the gain stage, you were simply reducing the amount of gain in the gain stage so you could accept a line-level signal without clipping.

this si what ive always thought, nice post brian
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2004, 05:02:45 PM »
this si what ive always thought, nice post brian

Don't thank me, thank Todd R.
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com