Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: starting with an Iaudio X5  (Read 1616 times)

Offline redbeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
starting with an Iaudio X5
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »
I am a newbie here, and I 'd like to get some opinions on my first rig.

I have an Iaudio X5L (30 gig) with Rockbox on it.  So now I have the choice to record to PCM Wave, AIFF, WavPack, and MP3.  When in PCM Wave, my frequency choices are 88.2khz, 44.1khz, 22.05khz, and 11.025khz. 
Is PCM Wave @ 44.1khz the best choice?

My recording screen allows level changes during recording.  Volume can be set any number from -73 to +6 db
Gain Left -34.5 to +12 db

Gain Right -34.5 to +12 db  The left and right gain settings can be independently changed.
I can start a new file by pressing a button--it seems to be gapless.

What I like about the X5 is it is tiny, has 30 gig hard drive, battery life is very long (I have X5L large battery version) so it seems like it will be good for stealth.  Plus I already own it, so that's a plus cause I can spend my money on mics, etc.

What I don't like about the X5 is the subpack connector, which is a little plastic adapter that connects to the X5 and has the line-in in it.  I will probably get a custom cable with 1/8" plug that can go straight into the X5.  Also, I have heard that the X5 has hard-drive spinning noise artifacts on recordings.  Can anyone confirm this?  Also, I have found no info on the quality of the ADC in the X5.  Does anyone know about it?

I plan to record stealth, open, and use it for some instrumental recording (low tech home studio stuff).
I don't have a mic input, only a line input, so I'm planning to get a preamp box when I buy my mics.
I thought about velcroing the x5 to the preamp box and using a short custom cable (1/8" to gomadic pin connector) to connect the two.  What type/guage cable should I use and what type of 1/8" connector?

I'm leaning towards the Church Audio cardioid or omni mics.

Lots of random thoughts and questions, but I hope some of you will have a helpful comment or two.
I'd especially like to know if anyone uses or has used the X5 for taping and how do you rate it?
Thanks!

Offline danzz1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: starting with an Iaudio X5
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:39:29 PM »
I'd like some info about this player/recorder also.

Anyone has any samples of it?

Cheers

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com