Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any cheap measurement mics that use screw-on 1/2" capsules  (Read 3040 times)

szegedin

• Trade Count: (0)
Any cheap measurement mics that use screw-on 1/2" capsules
« on: February 23, 2019, 02:38:07 PM »
Ive seen some of the measurement mics that use a capsule (often a 6mm in a 12mm housing) that are just sort of glued on. Does anyone know of any of those mics (Audix, Peavey, Dayton Audio, etc etc) that actually have a threaded 1/2" capsule that screws on like a normal mic?

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
Re: Any cheap measurement mics that use screw-on 1/2" capsules
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:44:21 AM »
First off, normal is a setting on a dryer. There is no "normal" configuration (diameter, thread count) for microphones.

Measurement mics need to have a fast transient response and time coherence, therefore a small diameter capsule is preferred. I don't know of any true measurement mics with a 1/2" capsule. There may be one out there, but I doubt it.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
First off, normal is a setting on a dryer. There is no "normal" configuration (diameter, thread count) for microphones.

Measurement mics need to have a fast transient response and time coherence, therefore a small diameter capsule is preferred. I don't know of any true measurement mics with a 1/2" capsule. There may be one out there, but I doubt it.
Mics come in 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" and 1".  In fact, 1/2" is the most common.The threads are mostly standard.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
theres always old B&K 1/2" measurement mics on ebay. some use up to 130V though
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

szegedin

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »
theres always old B&K 1/2" measurement mics on ebay. some use up to 130V though

That's the idea!
Some of them take 200v polarization, and some are prepolarized (0v) electrets. Looking for a standard 48v phantom preamp that those capsules can screw on to, but looks like no direct fits.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »
Ive seen some of the measurement mics that use a capsule (often a 6mm in a 12mm housing) that are just sort of glued on. Does anyone know of any of those mics (Audix, Peavey, Dayton Audio, etc etc) that actually have a threaded 1/2" capsule that screws on like a normal mic?

A good ½" measurement capsule is the Gefell MK221 - it's a screw-on condenser capsule with a 200V biasing voltage.

Gefell do several bodies for the capsulke for measurement purposes as well as a 48V phantom powered body for recording use (the body takes in the 48V phantom and converts it internally to the 200V bias voltage).

Josephson in the USA buy the MK221 capsule as an OEM and use it in their C617set micrlophone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com