Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Volume Loss Transferring By Analogue?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Rich.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
Volume Loss Transferring By Analogue?
« on: July 27, 2005, 02:23:59 PM »
Can anyone help me out a lil' here?

When transferring (trying to) my shows via line out on my md to line in on pc they’re very quiet.

I’m convinced it’s just the way I’m transferring it (maybe I’m in denial) but is there any significant loss in volume this way or are my recordings just too quiet? I've tried boosting the volume but it just seems to clip and really doesn’t sound too great.

One thing which makes me ask this is my brother has his mp3 player hooked up to his stereo (line out of mp3 player to aux in on the hi-fi) and the sound is very quiet, he has to crank his volume right up to achieve a decent sound.

So is this a problem with my mics or the way I'm transferring?

Regards, Rich.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Volume Loss Transferring By Analogue?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 08:15:07 PM »
it's kind of a tough question to answer without looking at a digital transfer.  You should purposely record something into clipping (over) and see how loud that is - that way you know the maximum signal level for reference purposes.  If your recordings are dramatically quieter then maybe you're setting your levels too low.

Does your md really have a line out that isn't controlled by the volume control on the md while playing back?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 07:43:32 AM »
Does your md really have a line out that isn't controlled by the volume control on the md while playing back?

No.

I'm recording a few local bands tonight, I'm gonna mess around with settings and things see how that goes. I'm sure It's not my settings though, cos' they sound alright listening back through my headphones.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Roamer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 03:53:35 PM »
You should probably raise your minidisc volume to the max (or close to it). It may also depend on your sound card (my Creative card amplify when volume iset to max, but your mileage may vary depending on your set up). Best would be to have a deck (or switch your gear : HiMD, JB3, M-Audio ...).

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 05:28:02 PM »
You can pick up an MD deck for pretty cheap off ebay now a days that have line in/out and some even have optical in/out.  Ive got the JE-510 and works great for transfering MD to computer or CD.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com