Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need analog tape transfers recording volume advice  (Read 2334 times)

Offline DATBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
need analog tape transfers recording volume advice
« on: August 16, 2021, 03:09:57 AM »
Hi guys,

When you do digital recordings of tape transfers into the digital recorders, do any of you turn on the Automatic Level Recording "ALR" function or do you simply dial in your recording volume manually? I know my manual says it's an acceptable method, BUT maybe there is something you guys know that the manual might not be telling me.

What are some of the consequences for using the ALR if you choose to use it this way?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: need analog tape transfers recording volume advice
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 08:49:22 AM »

I don't ever use any Automatic Gain feature of any recording device for any purpose. Ever. Don't trust it as it may (or may not) cause fluctuations that are audible. Find the sweet spot with some headroom and adjust later.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »
Hi guys,

When you do digital recordings of tape transfers into the digital recorders, do any of you turn on the Automatic Level Recording "ALR" function or do you simply dial in your recording volume manually? I know my manual says it's an acceptable method, BUT maybe there is something you guys know that the manual might not be telling me.

What are some of the consequences for using the ALR if you choose to use it this way?
Agree with goodcooker as far as never using it. One downside with live material can be if the SPL gets way low, as in between songs with zero tuning or banter, the ALR *might* turn the recording off. (* I believe specific to the device or software, of course)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:52:14 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 03:36:21 PM »

I don't ever use any Automatic Gain feature of any recording device for any purpose. Ever. Don't trust it as it may (or may not) cause fluctuations that are audible. Find the sweet spot with some headroom and adjust later.

This. I always record transfers at 24-bit, anyway, so there should be no issue with leaving a bunch of headroom.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 10:10:00 PM »
the background noise will rise and fall the opposite of the signal.
Soft signal will be boosted and thus have extra noise
loud signals will not have this, so you might hear the noise rising when it adjusts levels for you.
If the original material needs level fixes, it's pretty easy to do that in post production.
I recommend setting levels against a saturated (peaking) tape and then not expecting to exceed that during the transfer.

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com