Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ubuntu/firewire/SD722  (Read 2766 times)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Ubuntu/firewire/SD722
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »
So I've got Ubuntu loaded...pretty retardedly simple, easier than Windows with updates and program installation.

So Firewire between my 722 and the computer is bit perfect with a copy>paste?  Seems too good to be true.

Thanks,

Josh
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: Ubuntu/firewire/SD722
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »
it should be, to verify create a md5 of the file on the 722 > copy over > verify md5
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
it should be, to verify create a md5 of the file on the 722 > copy over > verify md5

or use rsync which does the verification for you. If your not familiar with the command line, then skip it and do md5s, but if you are, then it might be worth investigating.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »
rsync -av --progress /path/to/722/wav/directory/ /home/myuser/wav/myshow

This would rsync everything from inside the /path/to/722/wav/directory/ directory to the /home/myuser/wav/myshow directory and print progress. Pay special attention to the addition and omission of forward slashes on the end of the paths, they are significant. Example syntax is in the man page. I would try it on a test directory the first time. The one downfall I've found is that since rsync is so I/O intensive it sometimes will spin an external drive into being disconnected. This happened to me rsyncing to an ipod as an external drive many times. The 722 is probably alot burlier as far as it's HD so I would guess you won't have those problems. Otherwise just copy and compare. In addition to the md5sum tool you do have other ways to compare files faster on linux as well. The cmp command is a quick way to compare them, diff is another, md5sum works fine as well. They're all operating on basically the same principles. You'll find that most devices that present themselves as raw external storage are extremely easy to use in linux, plug 'em in and your usually good to go after the kernel recognizes it.

Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:36:39 PM »
Kinda lumpin my way along with Audacity....I don't recall Soundforge being this much brain damage to learn and Audacity just locked up.  It probably doesn't help that I only have a half gig of memory on this machine.

Are there any audio editing proggys that allow you to manipulate directly in .flac files?

Thanks for the feedback, y'all!

Josh

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Your on the right track with audacity, if you really want to get crazy and get a free full DAW grab a copy of ardour.

http://ardour.org

any program will have to unflac your files to do processing, usually they do this in memory so I would probably suggest leaving the files in wav format until you have it set and ready for packaging, it will be a waste of some space temporarily but will make the processing much faster. Even Cakewalk Sonar 7 on windows locks up on me when I try importing large flacs with a gig of memory, it's not just a linux or audacity problem afaik.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Offline sparkey

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 07:11:24 PM »
Does Ardour really not allow you to change the sample rate of what you'd like to work with?  I create a session, import my .wav file and it immediately begins converting it to 48K....

Your on the right track with audacity, if you really want to get crazy and get a free full DAW grab a copy of ardour.

http://ardour.org

any program will have to unflac your files to do processing, usually they do this in memory so I would probably suggest leaving the files in wav format until you have it set and ready for packaging, it will be a waste of some space temporarily but will make the processing much faster. Even Cakewalk Sonar 7 on windows locks up on me when I try importing large flacs with a gig of memory, it's not just a linux or audacity problem afaik.

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
a quick google led me to this..

http://ardour.org/node/1280

reading the guys reply it would seem it's really a function of the sound card. You might try his suggestion for a workaround.

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
looks like qjackctl can probably alter the sample rate jack is using for you fairly easily.

http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/

I would guess you would set your card to 44.1 in qjackctl and then start up ardour, when ardour connects to jackd it `should` be 44.1

you can also do this fairly easily in your jackd startup script from the looks of it in the manual

-r, --rate int
              Specify the sample rate.  The default is 48000.

something like

# jackd -r 44100 <rest of args>

J

Offline sparkey

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »
looks like qjackctl can probably alter the sample rate jack is using for you fairly easily.

I did find that when I was poking around about the issue, thanks for taking a second and looking into it.  I finally got pissed and re-installed XP, I'm going to dual-boot with Ubuntu and keep working on it.

Oddly, Audacity is working properly on my Windows box, which it definitely wasn't in the Linux installation.  I couldn't use the scroll bar at the bottom to move around the waveform and I couldn't export the file as a .wav.  It also looks like changing the sample rate in Windows is simply changing it in the preferences.  I should have this Black Crowes from the Riv tracked out shortly.

Cheers,

Josh

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com