Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UV22 vs. UV22HR / Normal vs. Low setting questions  (Read 2708 times)

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
UV22 vs. UV22HR / Normal vs. Low setting questions
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:15:32 PM »
Just curious if anyone has an opinion of using UV22 compared to UV22HR in Wavelab 6, as well as the Normal versus Low setting. Apogee says in their literature that UV22HR is a re-engineered version of UV22 that allows more resolution choices. I can't tell if there is any audible difference, but maybe someone else can.

Also, I have been experimenting with the Normal and Low position option. Looking at Wavelab manual, it says that the amount of dither is less on the Low setting, with other literature from Apogee stating that there is a 6db difference in the amount of energy clumped at 22Khz. They both seem to infer that the low setting is more desireable if an additional dithering step is going to be done later, but don't explain any other advantages/disadvantages to the Low setting.

What I actually noticed in listening tests at home this week between UV22HR at Normal was that there seemed to be a veil over the sound when compared to the same 24bit file being converted to 16 bit in Audacity using the "shaped" option, while the standard random Triangle white noise dither in Audacity seemed too bright and a bit edgy.

When I tried the same file using UV22HR set to Low, it seemed a tad more open, with less loss of clarity at the upper mid range than I thought I was hearing on the file done at the Normal setting.

Any Wavelab/Apogee experts here that can help me understand these things a little better?

Thanks!!!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com