Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: unsupported files  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
unsupported files
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:02:51 PM »
I recently "graduated" from a 702 to a 744t and busted my cherry with the 744t last night. I've copied the wavs to my PC but I can't get my cheesy Soundforge Audio Studio 9.0 to open up the wav files as it says "file is an unsupport format, contains unsupported number of channels". Sound like a limitaion with my s/w but I only recorded to two channels. What am I missing?  :-[

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: unsupported files
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
Maybe mutlichannel information in the file header, even though it's just a stereo file (or maybe two non-interleaved channels)? 

You might try the free WaveAgent app on the Sound Devices support website which splits/joints polyphonic multichannel WAV/FLAC files.  See if that can reformat the file, re-write the header or simply split it into two mono files.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
Thanks for the help. I downloaded a free/beta copy of Audacity and when I use this to open the files I see four channels however, only two of the four have data. These files were recorded 24/96 but when I "import" (open) a file and then "export" (save) Audacity saves it as 16bit (16/96) and then Soundforge will open it.

Also, I forgot to mention there were actually two things I used this time out that I never had before. The 744t is one and the other is the AK20/AK40 mid side. Don't know if the latter has anything to do the number of channels since I only used two.

Offline duch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:44:44 PM »
Rob, you should try SD WaveAgent, the application Gutbucket told you about. It's free, lightweight and you'll get your four channels file rid of its two empty channels in no time (while remaining at the original bit depth).

Just give SD the required info there : http://www.sounddevices.com/download/waveagent.html and they'll send you a download link.

Regarding the 744T, you have to un-assign the unused input channels in the input menu. It is confirmed by the 4 x 4 led matrix (1 2 3 4 and A B C D) on the right of the screen.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
Can you use wage agent to combine wav files from a 702 and R9HR? 
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 07:25:59 PM »
Sure- It splits & joins WAV files so I don't see why not.  You'd need to sync/align/trim them first to have them match properly.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline duch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »
Yep (if they're already synced), but you'll have to split them into mono first, as it can only combine monophonic files.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:36:32 PM by duch »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com