Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: powerbook g4 performance question  (Read 1747 times)

Offline georgedk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
powerbook g4 performance question
« on: July 08, 2004, 12:56:44 AM »
I have searched to the end of the internet for insight on this issue and only have received half answered answers.  I'm considering investing in a 1.33 ghz powerbook g4 laptop to run protools.  With an external firewire drive (7200 rpm) and 512 megs of ram or a gig what kind of performance should I expect?  Will it be sufficient to run protools with 32 tracks with plugins going?  I know I expect too much from the powerbook but I plan to do live recordings, so would the powerbook handle recording 16 tracks (8 in from the digi 002 rack and 8 via lightpipe, stand alone from a motu 828) at 48 k?  and since the 12' powerbook g4 only has one firewire 400 port and I may have the digi 002 rack and two firewire drives daisy chained should i suspect stutters in performance. 

jpschust

Re: powerbook g4 performance question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 01:07:42 AM »
you should be fine.  for more info on this you can ask over at gearslutz or tapeop, but you will be fine. 

also as a side note, which im sure you are aware of, you might want to get a master word clock for your system.  you are gonna have all sorts of problems with digidrift between the motu and the 002 and whatever other digi gear you might have. 

Offline georgedk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 01:15:23 AM »
thanks jspchust.  anyone else run a rig like this or has insight into this issue.

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 08:03:16 AM »
i have run this only i have a slightly faster processor (not much).  and more ram, but you will be fine.  you might want to consider getting some more ram in the near future though.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 10:23:57 AM »
I realize I'm late on this topic...

with audio recording/processing, ram is not as big a factor with regards to system performance(of course, this can also be app dependant...not the case with Digital Performer).
of course, I would still have at least 768(256 on board + 512 dimm), but that is for general OS performance.

we use a 867MHz G4 Powerbook and routinely run 20 channels via firewire 400 daisychaining a MOTU828(8 analoug), MOTU828mkii(10 analoug + 2 spdif) and a Glyph 7200rpm hard drive with no jitter/artifacts.

when we need to sync slocks we can use either the 828mkii as the master, or slave that to a external...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 10:25:33 AM by luvean »

the water's clean and innocent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com