Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: using shntool to fix sbe's on .wav files  (Read 6345 times)

Albix714

• Trade Count: (0)
using shntool to fix sbe's on .wav files
« on: April 20, 2005, 05:13:10 PM »
I have a .shn fileset that I converted to .wav. After listening to the show it was obvious that it was full of sector boundry errors. I have installed shntool sucessfully and attempted using some of the commands to fix the files. The tutorial confuses me and if at all possible, could someone break down the basics for me? Thanks.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: using shntool to fix sbe's on .wav files
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:41:47 PM »
why not just use the current version of the flac frontend to flac compress the wav files using the "align on sector boundaries" option -- as long as the files are in trackorder in flac frontend before you start, this will properly fix the sbes.

Albix714

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 05:43:49 PM »
I did that and the errors were still there.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 05:44:35 PM »
From the command line, in the directory in which your WAVs are located:

shntool fix *.wav
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:49:42 PM »
Likely not a sector boundary issue any more.  Can you open the offending files in soundforge, etc. and see what you're hearing?

Sector boundaries will not show up as a problem in a wav editing program, as what you're hearing is the zeros padded onto the end of a track by the cd burning program. However, there's a way in which a disk with sector boundary errors can be extracted to wav files and the wav files themselves will have the noise/error from the sbe in the wav file itself. 

Bottom line, I'd be willing to bet that if the flac frontend won't fix what appears to be a sbe, shntool won't either

Albix714

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 05:53:01 PM »
Ok, I typed cmd
then 'shntool -v'
then "E:\SHN - FLAC FILES\Garcia\JGB\jgb1984-08-07.editshntool fix* .wav" and got
'E:\SHN' is not a recognized as a internal or external command, etc.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 05:59:10 PM »
easier --

1) open a dos window

2) switch to the directory in which the problem files are located (hint, first move the file to an easy to type directory like "c:\easy") -- you can get to that directory by typing at the dos prompt "cd\easy")

3) once in the directory where the problem files are located, type "shntool fix *.wav"

Albix714

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 06:15:30 PM »
Ok, I got it. Thanks all.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 06:19:16 PM »
did shntool fix your problem?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 06:22:04 PM »
I'm wondering that too.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Albix714

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 06:26:51 PM »
Ok, shntool did it's job. Then I flac'ed the file using "verify" and "align on sector boundries". When the file was flac'ed I got no notice of sbe's like I did before. But, I am still hearting the digi noise. It sounds like skips in a record. Hmmm

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 06:35:04 PM »
Ok, shntool did it's job. Then I flac'ed the file using "verify" and "align on sector boundries". When the file was flac'ed I got no notice of sbe's like I did before. But, I am still hearting the digi noise. It sounds like skips in a record. Hmmm

hmmmm... something with sample rate/bitrate maybe?  I've gotten wierd things like that before too...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 06:38:28 PM »

where is the diginoise/skip noise?  At track breaks, or within tracks?  If the former, you might be able to carefully edit out the problem bits using soundforge, etc.

Albix714

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 06:40:29 PM »
The digi noise is within quite a few tracks. I'd like to fix the problem, it's a great show and a pretty good recording. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 06:46:12 PM »
If the noise is not at track breaks, it's not a sbe problem.  Your best likely solution is to track down another copy and/or the original transcription cds

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com