Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Forge 7 questions  (Read 2594 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sound Forge 7 questions
« on: April 28, 2005, 10:19:03 AM »
I'm increasing the bass in graphic eq. Should I dercrease the output at the same time or should I increase the bass first then reopen the file and decrease the output? When I increased the bass on round one with a 2.5db output decrease  it started clipping(had to do a big bass increase, 10db). Or am I doing it wrong. Thanks.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Sound Forge 7 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 09:10:12 PM »
Yes..........play with it.  When I have ever eq'd in the past with sound forge I always adjust the output volume so the wave form changes but stays constant in volume......do it, then watch the wave form change....look to see how the peaks reset themselves......if you have too, undo  it and re-adjust......Like i said play wit it...sound forge is easy......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:46:24 PM »
Yes..........play with it. When I have ever eq'd in the past with sound forge I always adjust the output volume so the wave form changes but stays constant in volume......do it, then watch the wave form change....look to see how the peaks reset themselves......if you have too, undo it and re-adjust......Like i said play wit it...sound forge is easy......

completely agree, soundforge is great since you can undo anything and redo it right away, let us know how it goes
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 08:02:21 AM »
how about a small MP3 sample .
I just dont understand Uping the bass, then having to lower the total volume.

Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 03:37:05 PM »
upping, lowering it all depends........When you EQ..........depending on how far you adjust in that particular frequency..it could change the volume by several DB in either direction up or down.......so you may have to adjust the out volume accordingly...just watch the wave form from before you process to after...you will see what I mean...

As a side note..I was using SF6 for a long time and have just got SF8 ...there is very little difference between the two.....but there is one feature that made the switch worth it........The Batch converter.........you can load up whatever files you want to process, then set up what you want done to each file ie..DC Offset,EQ,Volume, Clip resto., ect ect.....in any sequence you want then run it...........It will process each file for you....This feature saves a lot of time............I LOVE IT! ;D
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 11:49:12 PM »
upping, lowering it all depends........When you EQ..........depending on how far you adjust in that particular frequency..it could change the volume by several DB in either direction up or down.......so you may have to adjust the out volume accordingly...just watch the wave form from before you process to after...you will see what I mean...

I understand what your referring too , But this is not the way I was instructed to master.. thats what compression and so forth is used for .( In mastering your tapes YMMV)

As a side note..I was using SF6 for a long time and have just got SF8 ...there is very little difference between the two.....but there is one feature that made the switch worth it........The Batch converter.........you can load up whatever files you want to process, then set up what you want done to each file ie..DC Offset,EQ,Volume, Clip resto., ect ect.....in any sequence you want then run it...........It will process each file for you....This feature saves a lot of time............I LOVE IT! ;D

This is almost the same can of worms I opened a few weeks back , about mastering each track separately.
 It still seems to me that I may use a post rolloff or (so on) per track and not by the entire show. as for instance Slackjaw and kings highway are not in the same range most of the time.. though they may follow each other in a set list..
 But then again I was taught to master by a engineer that does not do live recordings.. I have tried to take in both and mix to my ears. But as we all know, we all have different filters...
as long as you think yours sounds good on our play back and I like mine on my playback ..

happy sunday.. let the beer and BBQ begin..
Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 07:01:24 PM »

I understand what your referring too , But this is not the way I was instructed to master.. thats what compression and so forth is used for .( In mastering your tapes YMMV)

This is almost the same can of worms I opened a few weeks back , about mastering each track separately.
 It still seems to me that I may use a post rolloff or (so on) per track and not by the entire show. as for instance Slackjaw and kings highway are not in the same range most of the time.. though they may follow each other in a set list..
 But then again I was taught to master by a engineer that does not do live recordings.. I have tried to take in both and mix to my ears. But as we all know, we all have different filters...
as long as you think yours sounds good on our play back and I like mine on my playback ..

happy sunday.. let the beer and BBQ begin..
Nick

I was thinking in terms of percived volume.......compression will change the volume as well but not increase a bass signal.  If you use compression you change the dynamics between the quiest sound verses the loudest sound........you bring the two closer together. 
Eq-ing is a whole other animal......you can change tone without changing dynamics.........
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com