Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?  (Read 108723 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?
« Reply #345 on: June 25, 2019, 08:21:31 AM »

If you’re looking for a budget priced four channel recorder, try the Tascam DR 70d. Never had an issue with mine. Budgets not a concern. SD Mixpre 6.

The Mixpre6 fits in  my budget of $1K for a new recorder but I don't know what it is about that thing - I'm just not as in love with the sound as everyone else. Also unpacking poly wave files  and what seems to be the overly complicated menus doesn't jive with me. I think I'm going to try the new Zoom F6. I use external pres most of the time so having top notch dual AD converters at 32 bit seems like the recorder for me. Just a line in device with six channels and a nice color screen.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #346 on: June 25, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
^  The polywave file is super easy just adds one extra step only if you are recording more than 2 channels.  Wave Agent is super easy to use.  The menus are super intuitive an easy to use I don't think you would find them complicated.  Also SD is very supportive if you have issues.  I ditched all my pres once I got mine.  I've been happy with the preamps.  Just my opinion, good luck on your search for a new deck. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 11:50:19 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2019, 04:26:08 PM »

So Thursday night I'm recording stage lip mics and a board feed for Johnny Vidacovitch Trio who's guest that night is Vaylor Trucks (the blond kid on the front of the Brothers and Sisters album) and had some trouble. During set break I went over to the deck and hit stop. Left everything powered on since I had plenty of battery and backup AAs in. I was on the patio when they unexpectedly started the second set and I jogged over to the bag to start it back up and the SAVING message was there and deck was locked. Pulling the USB didn't do anything and I couldn't take the rig apart and pull the AAs out to reset the thing since my bag was on the stage right in front of V Trucks, cables were taped down and it would have created too much of a scene. Additionally, it was his birthday and he was very excited about getting a copy of the show. It did save the first set just without writing file headers correctly.

This thing has let me down too many times even though it's been rock solid since the firmware update till now. I'm moving to something else.

OMG! That’s terrible. I feel so bad for you. I got rid of mine two weeks after I bought it. I would never have taken this POS in the field, even with a firmware update. Sorry.

If you’re looking for a budget priced four channel recorder, try the Tascam DR 70d. Never had an issue with mine. Budgets not a concern. SD Mixpre 6.

I'd go a step further... Tascam DR-701d.  Or a Zoom F4.   And, definitely, if budget isn't a concern, the MP6.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #348 on: July 05, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »
Trying to decide if I want to buy a PMD 706 ***with oade mods***, can't find anything positive about this deck, yet Doug Oade suggests getting one. Anyone happy with this deck?????
And would love to hear a recording with gefell's so I can hear for myself.
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #349 on: August 01, 2019, 03:06:53 PM »
After this deck let me down again with it's multiple personality behavior I bought a Tascam DR701d.

Hopefully it will get me by for while until I can get another deck that does at least 6 channels.

I really liked the Marantz 706 at first and thought that my pains with it were just the growing pains of being an early adopter. After multiple letdowns I just had to give up and go another direction.

Adios 706! Still have my trusty PMD620. That thing has never let me down.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline MohawkBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #350 on: August 07, 2019, 07:36:38 PM »
I’ve been looking for a 6 track rig to record at a bar in Bristol, VT.  In spite of some of the problems reported here I decided to order a pmd706 from Doug Oates. Got a nice pull last night but found another problem.  I had tested the ch5-6 trs to xlr cables at home but not both plugged in at the same time. They are so tight side by side that they don’t make internal contact.  At the venue I had no ports 5 and 6 until I pulled one and then the other worked. I ordered some molded cables that are smaller diameter. 
Bob

CA-14 cards,CA-14 omnis, Behringer C2s
Marantz PMD-706 Oade warm and concert, H4N
Church Ugly, UBB

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com