Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: favorite pre to run in front of r-44?  (Read 6303 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: favorite pre to run in front of r-44?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 08:58:12 AM »
Just curious, would Mixpre-D (digital out) to R44 (digital in) do anything? I mean, make it 'better', or would it just be more of the same?

It makes the R-44 irrelevant...reduced it to a bit bucket.

kirk97132

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »
I'm gonna go back to some pre's sound better with certian mic's.  Using the mixpre-d is like any other coax output preamp.  Now is it better?  I think that depends on if you like the sound "better" than the stock R-44.  The R-44 is a great all around deck with no serious shortcomings as far as the sound goes.  If anything I thought the Edirol(Roalnd now) sound was slightly grainy for lack of a better description.  Given a choice I'd probably prefer the A/D unit from Sound Devices.  BUt none of that really matters is the preamp is not a good match to the mics.  I cannot speak to how the mixpre-d sounds.  I've only used the mixpre, mp-2 and usbpre2.  And the mp-2(mixpre) is a lot different sounding than the usbpre2. 

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »
^^  I could be mistaken, but does the MP-2 have transformers whereas the MixPre and USBPre2 do not?  I've never done or heard a head-to-head comparison between them but I'd think that would make for a different sonic signature between the MP-2 and the others.

kirk97132

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
Mixpre has transformers. It's basically a newer version of the MP-2 but both are out of production now.  And yes that will make a sonic difference among other things.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 03:46:56 PM »
So...

MP-2 and MixPre = transformers

USBPre = no transformers

Thanks for the clarification, kirk.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.196 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com