Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A couple of hot spots during a recording got 0.0 db can it be saved  (Read 10401 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
hello, did a show, and i looked at the files and they came back a little hot.  I see a couple of hot points.  AGain just in some spots not the entire recording.  Can i go in and "scrub" some of the high points so that i DONT have 0.0 db.  I can not normalize due to the 0.0 db.  can i do something about this

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: A couple of hot spots during a recording got 0.0 db can it be saved
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 02:05:24 AM »
during these "hot spots" can you hear anything bad??  if not fuck it.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 03:46:50 AM »
during these "hot spots" can you hear anything bad??  if not fuck it.

what he said.

why do you need to normalize it if you have hot spots in it?

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »
If you feel like the rest of the show needs some boost - then use a volume envelope to bring the volume up on the other tracks.

Jeff
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »
If you feel like the rest of the show needs some boost - then use a volume envelope to bring the volume up on the other tracks.

Jeff

i have heard of the volume envelope--how do i use it?  please help me

I would like to boost the rest of the show but due to a few hot spikes, like a few high notes, I would like to bring the volume up,

do i need to use the volume envelope on the ENTIRE file or just after splitting tracks and done to each song?

Offline setboy

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »

Jeff

i have heard of the volume envelope--how do i use it?  please help me

I would like to boost the rest of the show but due to a few hot spikes, like a few high notes, I would like to bring the volume up,

do i need to use the volume envelope on the ENTIRE file or just after splitting tracks and done to each song?

If you do it after you split it, you will need to make sure you have no SBE's before you seed it.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
so will the volume envelope be a good solution to normalizing since i have gotten a few hot spots?

most of the recording is well within limits, just a few loud bursts of music.

so i should use the volume envelope for the times in between to bring up the lower music, like normalizing but just to bring up the lower ends

then i would track split and SBE

please advise

Offline setboy

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »
so will the volume envelope be a good solution to normalizing since i have gotten a few hot spots?

most of the recording is well within limits, just a few loud bursts of music.

so i should use the volume envelope for the times in between to bring up the lower music, like normalizing but just to bring up the lower ends

then i would track split and SBE

please advise

can anyone help him out? i Don't know about this. :P

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:05:20 AM »
What software are you using. I don't believe audacity has a volume envelope tool. I just switched to Samplitude and love the volume envelope tool. Being a non-DAW kind of guy - the learning curve is steeper than audacity - but I think the additional tools and ability to work in VIP was worth the change.

Jeff
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:06:42 AM »
I don't believe audacity has a volume envelope tool. I just switched to Samplitude and love the volume envelope tool. Being a non-DAW kind of guy - the learning curve is steeper than audacity - but I think the additional tools and ability to work in VIP was worth the change.

Audacity has an envelope tool.  Same feelings here about SAM.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:53:06 AM »
i have a gain envelope in PEAK pro I see it but i dont really know how to use it.  When i select the gain envelope it brings up the file and i can by using the cursor increase or decrease the " bar" that goes across the entire WAV file, so its like a bar with points on each end of the WAV file then i can use the cursor to move the point up or down, increase or decrease the gain, but i dont understand the relating percentages and numbers they give you along with changing the gain.  It appears the gain envelope i have you change the entire file, not just one song or smaller section. And it always seems taht no matter how i change the gain i still get some  bleed through increase in the higher ends--in which i dont need it there, i just wanted to bring up some of the lower parts to bring them up to some of the hot spots as to bring the entire show up to a volume boost just short of course from being total HOT.  It look like normalization which brings up the entire WAV to the highest point i recorded.  But since i have some 0.0db spots i can normalize, so i thought the gain envelope to get me gain around the hot spots to bring the total sound up.

does that make any possible sense

i am not good at this

I can " press" record, and " stop" thats about it, the rest is by the seat of my pants.

Plug ins  i use BBE max, and waves L3 ultramaximizer

thanks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
It appears the gain envelope i have you change the entire file, not just one song or smaller section.

I can't speak to the other configs, but if it's an envelope tool, it should allow you to place different points on the envelope line, and then drag each individual point up or down, while leaving the main line as is.  Adjusting the volume of a point that resides between two other points will adjust the curve/slope of line between the point you're moving and the points to its left and right, if that makes sense).  See pic for an example.  Each yellow box/dot is a different point on the curve, and you can use as many, or as few, points as you wish to define the down/up slope/curve of the envelope.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:40:21 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »
It appears the gain envelope i have you change the entire file, not just one song or smaller section.

I can't speak to the other configs, but if it's an envelope tool, it should allow you to place different points on the envelope line, and then drag each individual point up or down, while leaving the main line as is.  Adjusting the volume of a point that resides between two other points will adjust the curve/slope of line between the point you're moving and the points to its left and right, if that makes sense).  See pic for an example.  Each yellow box/dot is a different point on the curve, and you can use as many, or as few, points as you wish to define the down/up slope of the envelope.

yes, i can use many individual points, i have done that and i thought I was messing things up with all these seesaw looking lines with dots at the end.  LIke connect the dots?

Absolutely I am so grateful and appreciative of the responses you guys, it is overwhelmingly helpful and for you all to take the time out to see me through this is surely speaks volume to your character

My gain envelope window seems to be small, as compared to the entire WAV file that i am trying to alter.  Meaning that its sometimes hard to pick out the spots due to the gain envelope being small ( its like a smaller version of the WAV file that is being addressed) as compared to the WAV file that is the size of a regular template opening document. It looks like a smaller window.

Offline JWard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The Hightailers - Gulf Coast Roots Rock
    • Tapir Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 06:55:12 PM »
Depending on how many significantly louder peaks you have and how loud the vast majority of the peaks in the recording are relative to the loudest peaks you have a couple more options. 

You can use a pencil tool and redraw some of the peaks; this is tricky and if there's lots of them it can get tiresome. 

You can also apply some LIGHT compression to bring the occasional loud peaks down into the range of the rest of the peaks.  You have to set the threshold so it doesn't touch the majority of the recording, but only the highest peaks.  You will also have to play with the attack/release some to get it right and keep the compression inaudible.

Either way, the goal would be to bring the peaks down into the range of everything else, or significantly closer, but keep the changes inaudible.  If done right, you can bring those peaks down, give yourself some headroom for normalization, and not create any loudness differences from song to song or affect the dynamic range of the performance. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:57:15 PM by JWard »
There’s three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way....Isn’t that the wrong way?....Yeah, but faster!

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 10:51:21 AM »
Depending on how many significantly louder peaks you have and how loud the vast majority of the peaks in the recording are relative to the loudest peaks you have a couple more options. 

You can use a pencil tool and redraw some of the peaks; this is tricky and if there's lots of them it can get tiresome. 

You can also apply some LIGHT compression to bring the occasional loud peaks down into the range of the rest of the peaks.  You have to set the threshold so it doesn't touch the majority of the recording, but only the highest peaks.  You will also have to play with the attack/release some to get it right and keep the compression inaudible.

Either way, the goal would be to bring the peaks down into the range of everything else, or significantly closer, but keep the changes inaudible.  If done right, you can bring those peaks down, give yourself some headroom for normalization, and not create any loudness differences from song to song or affect the dynamic range of the performance. 

a thousand thank you's.  Yes I have been fiddling with the pencil tool, I hope not to take out to much of the peak because i think it might cause static, but i just try to bring it down a little with the pencil tool, enought to lower the overall db level so i can normalize and add volume without distortion.

Again thanks a ton for the information it is very much appreciated and this community just rocks.  Everyone has been so considerate with time to answer the question

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 8.785 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com