Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4  (Read 97766 times)

Offline soundsvisual

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4
« Reply #225 on: December 29, 2017, 07:01:16 AM »
Apologies if this has been covered before and I have missed it.

I'm using a MixPre-3 - wondering if someone can help me on a couple of things please?

Is the only way to get control of the mic gain from the physical pots by operating in Custom Mode? Can't see how to do it in Advanced mode. I like to be able to adjust the input level easily and don't really like doing this in menus on the tiny but nonetheless very good touch screen.

When I just record a pair of linked (1&2) ISOs and don't record anything else under the record options then I get a stereo file that imports into Logic Pro fine as an interleaved file - in other words it sets up a stereo channel on one track.
If I opt to record the L,R to the card then when you import into Logic it comes in as separate audio files onto sep tracks which you can then pan hard L&R etc. bit of a pain.

Also...under the RECORD menu...can someone explain what the difference is between L,R, L,R + Linked and Off & Linked?

I'm running latest release of the firmware and Logic pro X

Many thanks
Jonathan

Offline soundsvisual

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »
Anyone found a decent affordable bag for the MixPre-3 and a few things like USB battery, phones, that they would recommend for out in the field?

Thanks J

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #227 on: December 30, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
v1.52 playback question.

I recorded long-ish show last night in 24/96.  I set it and forget it.

Paying back file #1 on the drive home this morning and at 1h:02m:and change the file just stops.  Why doesn't it just queue up the next file and play it?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2018, 11:23:26 AM »
For those worried about the USB-C connection, I've had very good success with this right angled cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Z1MgZ7CViFhFs

The cable exits "down" in the bag, and then "up" to the battery, and is very secure.

Is that USB-C on both ends? My Poweradd battery is normal USB out. Can't see one of that configuration. Thanks for link though.
Your Poweradd battery is not really designed for the MixPre3, as USB A to USB C will only power 2 of the 3 channels. For external batteries the right amount of power output comes from a battery with a USB C output. There are options using the supplied dual USB A out cable, but I have no experience with using that cable.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2018, 11:55:23 AM »
Anyone found a decent affordable bag for the MixPre-3 and a few things like USB battery, phones, that they would recommend for out in the field?

Thanks J

Tamrac Adventure 8.  Traditional Backpack with scads of room for odds n ends.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xtamrac+adventure+8.TRS0&_nkw=tamrac+adventure+8&_sacat=0

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »
Apologies if this has been covered before and I have missed it.

I'm using a MixPre-3 - wondering if someone can help me on a couple of things please?

Is the only way to get control of the mic gain from the physical pots by operating in Custom Mode? Can't see how to do it in Advanced mode. I like to be able to adjust the input level easily and don't really like doing this in menus on the tiny but nonetheless very good touch screen.

Yes, You can use channel knobs to adjust your ISO levels. To do this, you would select Custom mode and set Record to Advanced and leave Channel set to Basic. When Channel is set to Basic, ISO levels are post channel knob and when Record is set to Advanced, ISOs can be armed. This has been covered in these threads many times. You can set it and it will hold the setting, or if you use the deck in multiple applications and have a poor memory, you can set up a pre-set.

When I just record a pair of linked (1&2) ISOs and don't record anything else under the record options then I get a stereo file that imports into Logic Pro fine as an interleaved file - in other words it sets up a stereo channel on one track.
If I opt to record the L,R to the card then when you import into Logic it comes in as separate audio files onto sep tracks which you can then pan hard L&R etc. bit of a pain.

I am not understanding at all what you are explaining. When you say "interleaved", are you talking about a polyfile? That is how these decks save your files, but it is easy to break them down to the recorded tracks in any way you desire, stereo, mono , single tracks , dual tracks, mix tack etc. I use soundforge and the polyfiles are great, because I can track everything and then break them down to the files I want.

Also...under the RECORD menu...can someone explain what the difference is between L,R, L,R + Linked and Off & Linked?

Many thanks
Jonathan

On the record menu:
L = Left Channel
R = Right Channel
L+R = Left an Right Channel, each controlled separately by front knob or within the menu, or with the scrub knob.
L=R Linked = Left And Right Channels linked so controlled by one knob again front knob or within the menu or scrub button, but linked together so turning or adjusting whichever moves both L and R together.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »
Feature request:  Allow USB-A to be set as an output as well as an input.  I would love to be able to push a stereo pair out of my USB-A so I could broadcast via an app like Mixlr.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2018, 03:20:06 PM »
Agreed! This would be perfect for live streaming!

Feature request:  Allow USB-A to be set as an output as well as an input.  I would love to be able to push a stereo pair out of my USB-A so I could broadcast via an app like Mixlr.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2018, 03:33:28 PM »

I thought they said this was not possible due to hardware. I think the MixPre 10 can do it. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

If I could hook this thing straight up to my phone to stream (and keep the phone charged) I would stream all the time.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2018, 05:04:29 PM »

I thought they said this was not possible due to hardware. I think the MixPre 10 can do it. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

If I could hook this thing straight up to my phone to stream (and keep the phone charged) I would stream all the time.

They did say it wouidnt work but it works for me on a Mixpre-6 (as others have found), with a USB-A to lightning cable. It only works if I use the l-mount sled (and Hawk-Woods dummy battery); the iphone complains about insufficient power if I try it while powering via USB-c.  The bigger issue is that the iphone doesnt inherently know how to deal with a multi-track stream. I have to use the mixer app AUM to select the two channels I want, send it to the AudioBus 3 app and then to mixlr (which is audiobus aware)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF3VbAQqgS8
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:11:43 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline soundsvisual

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
Thanks for answers.

[/quote]
Yes, You can use channel knobs to adjust your ISO levels. To do this, you would select Custom mode and set Record to Advanced and leave Channel set to Basic. When Channel is set to Basic, ISO levels are post channel knob and when Record is set to Advanced, ISOs can be armed. This has been covered in these threads many times. You can set it and it will hold the setting, or if you use the deck in multiple applications and have a poor memory, you can set up a pre-set.

I am not understanding at all what you are explaining. When you say "interleaved", are you talking about a polyfile? That is how these decks save your files, but it is easy to break them down to the recorded tracks in any way you desire, stereo, mono , single tracks , dual tracks, mix tack etc. I use soundforge and the polyfiles are great, because I can track everything and then break them down to the files I want.

Apple describe interleaved as this: "You can store multi-channel audio as interleaved or split channel audio files. An interleaved audio file contains all channel information, stored in an alternating single “stream.”For stereo files, this would be left channel, right channel, left, right, and so on."

When bringing files from the MixPre into Logic, if you have only recorded a linked pair of ISOs then that comes into Logic as I would expect as a single stream stereo track - as opposed to split mono tracks which you could then pair and pan L&R as desired.  If you record say 2 ISOs and a Linked L&R when you bring that into Logic everything comes in as split channel separate files. It's no big deal, I was just wondering if it was a quirk of Logic.

Offline soundsvisual

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
For those worried about the USB-C connection, I've had very good success with this right angled cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Z1MgZ7CViFhFs

The cable exits "down" in the bag, and then "up" to the battery, and is very secure.

Is that USB-C on both ends? My Poweradd battery is normal USB out. Can't see one of that configuration. Thanks for link though.
Your Poweradd battery is not really designed for the MixPre3, as USB A to USB C will only power 2 of the 3 channels. For external batteries the right amount of power output comes from a battery with a USB C output. There are options using the supplied dual USB A out cable, but I have no experience with using that cable.

Thanks. It works with the dual USB A out cable, but will try it with a different USB C pack.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »

Apple describe interleaved as this: "You can store multi-channel audio as interleaved or split channel audio files. An interleaved audio file contains all channel information, stored in an alternating single “stream.”For stereo files, this would be left channel, right channel, left, right, and so on."

When bringing files from the MixPre into Logic, if you have only recorded a linked pair of ISOs then that comes into Logic as I would expect as a single stream stereo track - as opposed to split mono tracks which you could then pair and pan L&R as desired.  If you record say 2 ISOs and a Linked L&R when you bring that into Logic everything comes in as split channel separate files. It's no big deal, I was just wondering if it was a quirk of Logic.

What you are describing is what Sound Devices calls a polyfile. In fact Tascam refers to it as a Poly (Interleaved) file. This is normal and the way that the SD MP6 records. Everything ends up in one file which is explained in the MP3 and MP6 manual. It is not new for Sound devices. Tascam has a free program that will decode the polyfiles, and many programs will do this. They have it for Mac and Windows PC's. If I open my polyfile in Soundforge, I can see the individual tracks and then do with them as I wish.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #238 on: January 04, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Use Sound Devices Wave Agent to split the poly wavs into mono or stereo tracks. Then import those into your DAW.

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories/software/wave-agent
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:23:48 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #239 on: January 04, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »
Use Sound Devices Wage Agent to split the poly wavs into mono or stereo tracks. Then import those into your DAW.

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories/software/wave-agent

Thank gawd for this software.  Ran the MixPre3 for the first time last night.  Picked "Unlinked L+R" and ended up with mono files.  Ugh. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com