Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External HD problems  (Read 7223 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
External HD problems
« on: July 30, 2003, 10:07:37 AM »
Ok, so i have a Western Digital external USB2.0/Firewire combo drive...It has a bunch of music files on it.  It worked fine for about 2 weeks then all of a sudden this weekend it stopped being recognized so I got a new firewire/usb combo card (my old one was just usb 2.0) and tried it out on the firewire connection.  It was recognized and seemed to work okay.  Now all of a sudden, it won't be recognized.  Under the device manager, it is recognized as one of the Hard Drives, but I can not see it in the Windows Explorer.  If i unplug it, and plug it back in, the drive stutters internally and then simply cools down.  Windows still recognizes it in the Device Manager but not Explorer.  Any thoughts?  P4 2.0 ghz, 512 Ram, Win XP Home.

thanks
-damon

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:External HD problems
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 12:21:09 PM »
hrrm...i have had problems similar to this i think....try looking for it in computer management, if you can see it there you should be able to assign a drive letter to it.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 04:25:47 PM »
i wanna know if you get this fixed bc i am about to get an external hdd. now a little hesitant. will another machine recognize the drive?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 04:34:37 PM »
i'm gonna mess around with it more tonight and i'll let you know...it doesn't make any sense...it worked fine for a while then just stopped working.

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 04:37:45 PM »
damon-
is that the drive you sent to me?
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 04:46:45 PM »
yep...all of a sudden, it's not recognizing it.  strange.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 03:39:46 AM »
winxp home...

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 08:21:27 AM »
my usb2.0 drive does the same thing. i usually just reboot and winblows finds it again. kind of a pain in the ass.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 08:44:01 AM »
i went into one of the accessories programs last night (i think called system information) and when i clicked on drives or media or something like that where it gives info on your hard drives, it had my other 2 drvies listed as well as the External Drive, however in the line entitled "media loaded" it said "no" while for the others it said yes.  So, my guess is that it's some kind of defect with the drive itself, which sucks cause i'm gonna lose 100 gigs worth of wes' 24 bit stuff  :'(

if anyone has any further suggestions, i'd appreciate them...schwilly, why do you think it might have to do with XP home?

-damon

rabhan

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 01:24:54 PM »
damon, try pluggin it into another machine?

rabhan

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2003, 05:34:11 PM »
well, on that note and on my experience with WDs, i am gonna get the maxtor and not the WD ext drive.....120G USB2/Firewire1394 for 232$

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 04:10:57 AM »
As a last ditch resort if you really want the data back you can send it in to one of those data recovery services that advertise in the back of computer magazines. Maybe you can have the cost compensated by WD since they come with a 3 year warranty?? (at least the 120 GB 7200 RPM one I just got does) .

Hey Rabhan-
As far as getting an external drive you can save some $ by buying the enclosure and HD separately, check pricewatch.com for HD's , I wouldn't pay more than $1/GB, you can find 120GB drives on sale for $90 or so, combo firewire and  USB 2.0 enclosures should be in the $60-70 range.

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 08:56:22 PM »
thats weird, i've had mine for over a year, and had no problems...  only been wonderful...  but i did have problems initially but i had to designate a specific drive letter for it, and i had no other problems, cause it first when i plugged it in was drive E, and thats my burner's letter, so i just changed it, and it's worked fine since then..
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 12:19:33 AM »
Maybe you can have the cost compensated by WD since they come with a 3 year warranty?? (at least the 120 GB 7200 RPM one I just got does) .

Good luck on that.... Data is the responsibility of the owner, not the manufacturer. On the positive side, most of the good recovery places will work with manufacturers if a drive is under warranty so they can give you your data back on the new drive but its big bux.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2003, 08:06:46 AM »
stick the "faulty" hard drive in a differnt machine and see what happens.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com