Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem getting win2k pro to boot from cd  (Read 6881 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Problem getting win2k pro to boot from cd
« on: September 16, 2003, 01:39:44 PM »
ok, this is a bit of a convoluted problem so bear with me.

my laptop came set up with xp pro.  i want to do the dual boot set up.  so i have a d/l'd copy of xp pro and win2kpro.  the computer came setup with xp pro on it but no install disc.  it also came with a backup utility called drive image, but it is only a limited feature edition.  they set up a small partition on the HD with a backup image of the xp pro original set up.  so i bought norton ghost 2003.  my ultimate goal is to have a dual boot, 3 partition set up.  this requires me to eliminate the drive image partition.  so the first thing i did was use ghost to create a backup recovery image of my original hd set up including the drive image partition.

my next planned step is to use the gdisk utility (similar to fdisk but it's a norton version) to wipe the hard disk clean, install 2k, then install xp pro.  however, the 2k install disc i have will not boot from the cd at startup.  it goes right into xp pro.  i have set up the boot order so that it tries the floppy first, then the cd, then the hd.  it will boot directly from the xp pro install disc.

i thought about booting win2k from the startup floppies you can download, but my laptop has a modular bay for the cd drive and the floppy drive.  i don't think that i can boot from the 4 floppies and then switch it out for the cd/dvd drive.  i have an external dvd burner/cd burner.  however, i do not believe the necessary firewire/usb2.0 drivers are loaded by the windows 2k boot floppies.  (they are not loaded into the ghost boot disks i created with cd/dvd support).  and by booting straight from the ghost image, i can not get to dos to start the win2k install.

anyone have any suggestions as to why win2k pro will not boot from the cd?  could the windows xp pro on the HD override the boot settings and prevent it from booting?  it's strange because if i start up the machine with the xp pro install disc it goes into the windows setup utility and not into the OS, but when i have the 2k install disc in, it starts windows and never gives me the option to boot from the cd-rom.

anyone have any other thoughts to get this done?

the other thing i can do is network the pc's through my wireless internet router networking hub.  i believe there is a way to deliver windows that way, but i don't know how to do it.  any suggestions at all?  i would be very gr8ful  :)

assuming there is no option to get this done, i thought of doing a dual boot with 2 version of xp.  i already have two hardware profiles created in the xp currently installed, but i'd want to disable a lot of the background services for taping and disabling those services using the "services.msc" utility but that affects the OS globally and not just by hardware profile.

i'm getting pretty frustrated. :banging head:

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Problem getting win2k pro to boot from cd
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 01:47:37 PM »
OK, I understand your problem, but I don't think I can help... sorry, man

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 01:49:33 PM »
at least you understand the problem, i'm not even sure i do, what a ridiculous post...apologies to all who get all the way through it.

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 01:54:13 PM »
Damon, not that is much help. But what kind of laptop did you get again? There are some issues with proprietary versions of XP out there (Dell, Compaq ect use their own hybrid of XP) which often run other services that you can't turn off.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 01:54:52 PM »
just to be certain...are you 100% sure that you aren't getting a "press any key to boot from cd" option temporarily during bootup?  
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 01:55:03 PM »
you're making me think this dual boot thing is more of a pain than it's worth.

i have win2k on the way but i wanted to get shit setup to tape donna the buffalo tonight for the first run of the new lifebook.
i setup wavlab and the vx pocket last night. i was able to install on the 1st try without a problem.

i also have that same shit - with the small drive partition for backup. i guess fujitsu just always does it taht way.

we'll see how it goes tonight ...

sorry but i cant really help there either. donno what to do.

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 01:56:41 PM »
Damon, not that is much help. But what kind of laptop did you get again? There are some issues with proprietary versions of XP out there (Dell, Compaq ect use their own hybrid of XP) which often run other services that you can't turn off.

fujitsu...but would that prevent me from booting from a cd?  weird.

just to be certain...are you 100% sure that you aren't getting a "press any key to boot from cd" option temporarily during bootup?  

yes, i kept looking and looking...restarted my computer something like 6 straight times.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 02:00:49 PM »
i found a website that suggests a way to create a 2k boot disk...http://www.bink.nu/bootcd/  any thoughts?

also, what file do i need to see on the install cd to know if it is bootable?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 02:01:31 PM »
i beleve you said you downloaded the two OS's. when you went to burn them  you select need to make the cd's bootable (ie nero6 calls it a cdrom boot disk- or something). so try and reburn the disks with that selected. i have done that before myself. good luck.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 02:03:52 PM »
i beleve you said you downloaded the two OS's. when you went to burn them  you select need to make the cd's bootable (ie nero6 calls it a cdrom boot disk- or something). so try and reburn the disks with that selected. i have done that before myself. good luck.

thanks for the suggestion...i'll try this again...the only thing that makes me think this won't work is that i did the exact same thing for both the 2k and xp pro insall discs and xp will boot...but that might have been the right type of disc image file for the program i was using...this may be v. close to the solution...+t

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 02:06:06 PM »
have you already created the partitions?  if so, can you try loading the win2k disk while in xp and choosing install on another partition?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 02:06:56 PM »
it says the setup feature of 2k will be disabled because a newer version of windows is already installed.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 02:07:30 PM »
solution: .45 to the comp's dome

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2003, 02:08:10 PM »
at about 2:30 last night it almost went out the window...fuck bill gates.

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2003, 02:09:24 PM »
I run a single boot system and works fine for taping. I have everything turned off that I don't need and all the services turned off as well. I only run my graphic stuff on it that I need for work. I do have IE on it but not much else. No problems so far. I run win2000Pro on it.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.335 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com