Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)  (Read 98312 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »
Can you connect a keyboard to the R44 in order to write information on the take?

No.
[/quote]

How do you write down letters to identify the files then, like scene, take, shot, etc.?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2008, 09:08:33 PM »
The R-44 has a pretty good file naming scheme.  You can either have files auto-name with full date and time details, or you can preset a filename pattern, like "Take" or "Scene" or whatever - the R-44 then numbers the files appropriately (take_001, take_002 etc etc).

From the manual -

"If there is only one channel, a monaural WAV file will be created with a name consisting
of the project name and a .wav extension

If there are 2–4 channels, a folder will be created with a name consisting of the project
name plus an extension of .pjt. In that folder, monaural WAV files will be created with
names consisting of the channel number and a .wav extension"

Here (FWIW) I have preset names as follows -

Rehearsal
Part One
Part Two
Test
Take

Then in recording setup you choose which preset name to use for the files or folders you are about to record.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »
As one who does some double-system with my edirol units, another thing that is nice is that the file name is displayed on screen. So, although this may not be practical in your situation, I often "slate" the scene by filming the screen of the R44/R4 for a sec. By doing that, you'll have the filename (and approximate timecode if you're rolling one audio file) listed right in the video file -- comes in handy.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2008, 08:07:37 PM »
Aha, that's the reason for the otherwise unnecessary figures in the timecode!  Good scheme!

kirk97132

« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »
I was wondering what some people thought about the r-44 compared to the HD-P2.  I was thinking about getting one of these and selling my  2 HD-P2.

Just sold my P2 to fund the R-44.  I really liked the P2.  IF I already had two of them I don't think I would have sold them to buy the R-44.  Hands down better metering on the Tascam.  I do like the adjustable gain on the R-44.  Maybe a slightly better stock A/D unit on the Tascam, not sure that I could hear the difference but that's what I've been told.  It is smaller than the P2.  Unless I was looking to down size my rig I think I would run two P2's sync one with the internal clock of the other and let 'em fly.  Of course you could sell and put the leftover money into gettin the mods done to the R-44 making it an all in one that would be hard to beat.  Hope that helps, Kirk 

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2008, 07:49:41 PM »
As one who does some double-system with my edirol units,

What units are you using for double-system sound? Is it film or video? What sync routine are you using, clapper? Do you use TC?

another thing that is nice is that the file name is displayed on screen. So, although this may not be practical in your situation, I often "slate" the scene by filming the screen of the R44/R4 for a sec. By doing that, you'll have the filename (and approximate timecode if you're rolling one audio file) listed right in the video file -- comes in handy.

My guess is you are probably using smaller cameras for that, DV or HDV: is that so?

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2008, 11:45:05 PM »
I was wondering what some people thought about the r-44 compared to the HD-P2.  I was thinking about getting one of these and selling my  2 HD-P2.

Just sold my P2 to fund the R-44.  I really liked the P2.  IF I already had two of them I don't think I would have sold them to buy the R-44.  Hands down better metering on the Tascam.  I do like the adjustable gain on the R-44.  Maybe a slightly better stock A/D unit on the Tascam, not sure that I could hear the difference but that's what I've been told.  It is smaller than the P2.  Unless I was looking to down size my rig I think I would run two P2's sync one with the internal clock of the other and let 'em fly.  Of course you could sell and put the leftover money into gettin the mods done to the R-44 making it an all in one that would be hard to beat.  Hope that helps, Kirk 

I already have one V2 that I use in front of one of the P2's.  I was thinking about selling both P2's and getting a R-44 and another V2(or a mod).

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2008, 07:07:31 PM »
More practical questions on the R44. I was just looking at the Audiomedia review
(http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/audiomedia_200807/index.php?startid=56) and it say you can't save setups. That's one of the things that disturb me in my Sony MD RH10, so I wouldn't want to have a unit that can not save and keep a recording setup, even if I turn the unit off.

Will the R44 save a recording combo, like say 24/48, and leave that as my recording standard until I pick a new one?

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »
yes it will.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2008, 08:18:48 PM »
Some units can save a variety of complete settings for different purposes - the R-44 can't do that, but does hold almost all settings when turned off.  The exception that springs to mind is the playback level menu settings - I think the manual says they are volatile.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
R44 put to good use...

- What's this knob do?

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »
awesome!

sendspace? :lol:
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

kirk97132

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »

I already have one V2 that I use in front of one of the P2's.  I was thinking about selling both P2's and getting a R-44 and another V2(or a mod).

I'd think it would be a little out of pocket money involved if you were to get an R-44 and V2.  Why not get V3 and run the digi in on the R-44?  About the same money isn't it?  That would be another difference between two P2's and one R-44 you could run digi in on two separate decks but only one stereo pair input on the R-44, cannot run digi in for four channels.  Of course that is more to carry if it matters.  The idea of a mod is pretty appealing too.  And as small as the R-44 is, a modded box would make it real easy to lug around.  Bussman does nice mods without having to but from him.  Or Oade Bros.  Even after selling my P2 I still have a fondness for it, and the way it worked, and layout.   But, I am really digging the R-44 too.  4 tracks good box and great price make the difference in user features easy to accept.   

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2008, 01:36:49 AM »
Anyone running a busman mod r-44?
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com