Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Manufacturer same as Preamp Manufacturer = Good thing or Crap or Whatever?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline tchoky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Jonny loves Janice loves Jonny
i've been searching for a similar question but couldn't find it at all so i'm gonna ask YOU (newbie friendly taper... hopefully!): do certain microphones work better with certain preamps? for example: if i'm using DPA mics is it reccomendable to use a DPA preamp like the dpamma6000? i'm especially interested in miniature microphones, indeed i intend to buy the 4061's mics (stealth taping). i was already thinking about the next step, the preamp. oh well, i could go back again and ask you guys if you know a good miniature microphone good for loud rock/metal/whatever music which is always around 110 db and (at the same time) good for classical music which varies from 0 to ? db. well, any new ideas, anything, will be greatly appreciated from a totally newbi. thanks!

hopefully soon enough:

DPA 4061 > DPA MMA6000 > Sony PCM-M1

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
fwiw the DPA > DPA is a sweet combo.  Schoeps > schoeps is also a sweet combo. 

406x > mma6XXX is one of the better/preffered combos out there.

I would say it varies by manufaturer.  sometimes better sometime indifferent and even sometimes worse,
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline tchoky

• Taperssection Newbie

I would say it varies by manufaturer.  sometimes better sometime indifferent and even sometimes worse,

so the best thing would be probably to try out different combos? how important is the preamp? could i spend less on the preamp then on the mics and the recorder?
hopefully soon enough:

Ray76

so the best thing would be probably to try out different combos? how important is the preamp? could i spend less on the preamp then on the mics and the recorder?

you could certainly spend more money on the mics. If you have a walmart microphone, a 2000 dollar preamp aint gonna make it sound much better, however, if you have a better mic, the preamp will only help that.best thing to do, hombre is use your ears to decide what sounds best TO YOU. trial and error.
Thats the best advice I think for this hobby. Use your ears and get what you like. Its the advice thats helped me most.

Ray

« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 06:09:24 AM by BigRay »

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
the dpa pre-amp, from my understanding, is very transparent and pairs well with their mics.  there are also many users of the schoeps vms boxes that like them with their schoeps mics.  however, there are an infinite number of combinations of mics, pre-amps, adc's, etc...so download/trade copies of different sources in different environments to find what you like best.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline tchoky

• Taperssection Newbie
thanks very much for your kind replies. what i'm further trying to understand is this: doesn't a minitaure microphone have a quality limit where from a certain level good preamps wouldn't change a thing or isn't there a limit? i mean, can you say that it isn't worth to buy the best preamp for minitaure mics because anyway the miniature mics won't capture that much that needs to be preamplified?
pretty annoying that my english isn't better and i can't come to the point lol. thanks anyway.
hopefully soon enough:

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
no, the miniature mics are only small in size, their sound is first class... they compare nicely with their standard sized brothers
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline tchoky

• Taperssection Newbie
no, the miniature mics are only small in size, their sound is first class... they compare nicely with their standard sized brothers

ok cool, thanks a lot, shall go and rob the the piggy bank ...

;D
hopefully soon enough:

Offline tchoky

• Taperssection Newbie
"The MMA6000 is a high quality miniature microphone amplifier and power supply for portable stereo recording, designed for use with all DPA miniature microphones."

and power supply for stereo recording... what's the battery, how long can it 'last'?

*** other question: lots of recordings have this source: DPA 4061 > MPS 6030 > Sony PCM-M1, so, no preamp? why? does the Sony PCM-M1 feature a preamp? these recordings are pretty amazing (so far) ***
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 06:54:14 PM by tchoky »
hopefully soon enough:

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
The onboard preamp of the Sony D100/M1 is considered to be better than those of previous Sony portable DAT models. 
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline tchoky

• Taperssection Newbie
again: thanks a lot for all the kind answers and help. already feeling better!

amaaaazing place here! wohoooooo! :o

:)
hopefully soon enough:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com