Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any USBPRE2 experts out there?/win7 drivers wont install  (Read 7389 times)

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
Any USBPRE2 experts out there?/win7 drivers wont install
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:25:20 PM »
****please see post down thread of win7 driver issues****

new to this wonderful device but im hung up @ a couple of issues.

- running xp.  previous digi i/o card was a waveterminal that gave me no such issues as we see here.

- when recording via analog in to the computer, i am able to monitor through the headphones only.  no signal goes to the aux outputs > stereo.  would going analog out of the balanced xlr outputs solve this issue? 

- when playing back from computer, via any audio app, if its *not* @ 48kHz, the signal is full of static. 

thanks!

chris
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:41:39 AM by ellaguru »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Any USBPRE2 experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »
I think the third one is related to sample rate conflicts between your PC and you're unit, one is expecting to drive the other with certain settings and it's not happy. I could get that on occasion when I used mine as a soundcard. Check what your sample rate is on the box and in our sound settings and see if it's resampling the output.

The volume one is a stumper. I've always seen all of the outputs be hot so I don't know why you're not getting anything on just one of them....
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
thanks for the tips..i think the main issue is my 10 year old XP box needs to go.  perhaps this is the catalyst  ;D

chris

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
Yeah. I saw that so I didn't spend a lot of time thinking; I use a mac and the double whammy is it has optical out so I use mine in standalone mode a lot. Hope it works out for you.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

DF81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
I just bought one, but it hasn't arrived yet.  I think I read something about a firmware update that has up to 192 kHZ/24 bit playback from mac/pc.

Regardless, I would install the updates if you haven't already.

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
Re: Any USBPRE2 experts out there?/win7 drivers wont install
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 06:46:17 AM »
ditched the old xp box and now have a nice new win7 machine up and running here.

when installing the 64bit drivers, it stops at about 80% and then gives me an error 'unable to install drivers'.

- turned off (as much as i could figure out) the pre installed norton annoyware/protection bundle
- win7 64bit
- all other usb devices recognized with no issues.  external hard drives & thumb drives were tested.
- tried through windows driver install and i get 'access denied' every time.
- net search gives me multiple registry areas to check/change checked boxes. none that i've tried work.
- device manager does see the usbpre2, but with the yellow "!" box with it.

im pulling whats left of my hair out on this one.  my next course of action is getting the xp emulator going, but im not too hopeful about that, since i must have to change a permission somewhere.  just where?

thanks!
chris
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:57:53 AM by ellaguru »

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »
installed the virtual xp, and then i was able to install the 32 bit drivers via windows driver install, *not* the SD drivers i downloaded.  playback is static-y, like its having issues 44.1kHz wav files on system vs. 48kHz set on device. 

pardon the cross post @ the hoffman boards...im really at my wits end with this one

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:52:53 AM »
I hate calling vendor support, preferring to work it out on my own, but sometimes it comes to that. Have you contacted SD to see what they say? Even with the little I've had to deal with them they are excellent.

I have a 64bit win7 pc here but haven't connected my usbpre2 with it yet. if I can find some time I'll see if I get different results.

Have you confirmed your firmware version and/or have you tried reloading, if that's even possible with this device?
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
not sure even how to confirm what firmware is on the sd device.  i do have the sd download of firmware 1.03 but it wont install, stating "unable to detect usbpre2".
ive tried reloading & redownloading the 64bit version with no luck at all.  even in the virtual xp, the sd driver install timed out.  got it to load in via windows driver update, but the device is only listed as 'usb device' vs 'usbpre2' like it should.

thanks again...sd support is top notch so perhaps they are my next angle

chris

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
making minor progress here....
- completely uninstalled norton bloatware, uh , i mean virus protection
- able to install correct drivers from the SD website.
- unable to get any audio aps to use the device.  it appears in any app as audio on usb, but no programs play any files.  song loads in, and thats it
- via adobe audition, i am able to get to the usbpre2 control panel, but under 'audio devices' the device itself isnt listed. this is in virtual xp and win7 modes.
- under device manager, usbpre2 is now properly labeled, but still has that pesky yellow diamond with the "!". 
- says 'windows can not verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device'

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 11:32:11 AM »
here was the clue for me..
   says 'windows can not verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device'
disabled 'driver signature enforcement' viaF8 boot up.
problem solved!!

/edit to add:
...theres a cmd line fix for this, otherwise you have to start w/ F8 settings every time you boot, or at least every time i need the usbpre2.  i havent ran the cmd line yet.

chris
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:59:07 PM by ellaguru »

DF81

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »
I'm using the USBPre2 tonight for the 2nd time... I just ran some tests w/ KM184's and the gain is way too hot even at the lowest settings (even hotter than Mixpre).  I also have the pads and limiter on.  Just running voice tests it's activating the limiters.  Is this usual?  What is going on?

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »
No it is not usual are you going xlr in?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 01:29:03 PM »
No it is not usual

Agreed. The km184s are 15mv/pa. Using the 15db pad, you should be able to stay under the limiter.

Can you take a picture of the dipswitch settings (not a typed read out, a picture)? that and one of the front panel might help us sort it out.

DF81

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
No it is not usual

Agreed. The km184s are 15mv/pa. Using the 15db pad, you should be able to stay under the limiter.

Can you take a picture of the dipswitch settings (not a typed read out, a picture)? that and one of the front panel might help us sort it out.

I will post a picture soon, but it worked ok Sunday night.  I couldn't monitor the levels much, but the wav files look ok. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.424 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com